• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Superstitions

Mike Daniel

Senior Member & Supporter
I consider myself a rational chap, however have long held the view that the 'curse of new tackle' will significantly reduce my chances of catching when using a new piece of kit for the first time. Everything needs at least one airing before I'm confident it will contribute to a fish on the end. Whilst illogical, coincidence has played a strong role in convincing me of this 'fact', removing all confidence in new kit. The new rod, reel even rod rest never seems to produce a fish first time requiring two rods to be employed to stand a chance.

A new landing net or handle is the ultimate curse, destined to remain dry on it's first outing.

Does anyone else leave their brain at home when fishing and follow illogical superstitions?

Im terrible for it mike..not just gear but i have found myself counting magpies,one for sorrow two for joy i tell myself its all about confidence and it is,not bloody magpies ect.:rolleyes:
With gear its feeling uncomforable with something new and it leads to a drop in confidence.
Paul

Last edited:
Strangely all my recent rods (hand-built split cane, Free Spirits and Hexagraph) have led to captures on their first time of use!

I used to think the same way about new tackle but for the last couple of years, and at least twenty five purchases, I've broken the hoodoo. It's not something that I give much thought to these days, though I still acknowledge the spectre of it.;):D:eek:

I never get my landing net wet before it needs to be used for a fish, probably why I blank in the rain!

I always set my landing net up first and put it away last.

And i always say a "thank you" too the river/lake/pond before i leave whether i have caught or not.

Touch wood, I am complete free of irrational belief systems, Birmingham City will one day win the FA Cup, I will catch every time I cast out and a new fishing rod is a suitable birthday present for the missus.

When I used to fish the Kennet around Burghfield there was a set of traffic lights on the railway bridge near Kirtons Farm waterskiing centre. I used to try and hit the lights on green and was convinced that if I did a good days sport would be in the offing. It got ridiculous, to the extent of driving the last hundred yards or so at snails pace, so as to try and not stop on a red.

Also at the same venue, when approaching Burghfield Mill there was a ginger rabbit that we often saw at the roadside and this was deemed the kiss of death to our days fishing.

I also have a lucky Clanger in my rucksack!!

Mic

What on earth is a lucky 'clanger' Mic?................ i have dropped a few in my time but none has ever been lucky!

Tom

You must remember the Clangers, stop frame, puppet animation series by Oliver Postgate featuring a colony of pink, long snouted creatures that lived on the moon, who communicated by a series of mournful whistles. Also featured The Soup Dragon who my angling colleague of that time often uses as his online alter ego.

Yeah doesn`t really explain why I carry it though does it?

Mic

I always say good morning to the first magpie i see in the morning as long as its not flying!![saying hello to a flying magpie is obviously bad luck!] and i always put my landing net up first and away last.:D:D

Plenty . If I remember to ,I throw a silver coin in before I start for ' luck' . Landing net goes up first and down last , I suspect this is driven by some incident in the past when I have had a fish on and the net was still in the holdall ! Always have my scales 'ready ' and out of the bag with sling etc , can't think what drives that one . Like Tom I always say thank you to the river or lake no matter what the outcome . When barbel fishing I always do the last cast countdown, I count down and then up again to a favourite number before packing up . I think this is part of the the '' I will just hang on a little longer'' theory , the countdown designed to put a degree of finality on the hanging on . I always pack up immediately after the contdown is fished .It's all bonkers really , but if it keeps you positive then it has to be good :)

Hi Mike,

I assume (you being a canny Yorkshireman) that the landing net goes up first so that you can catch the 'lucky silver coin' once it has done it's job, but before it disappears from sight :p:D:p

Cheers, Dave.

Dave

You can always tell a yorkshireman...but you can`t tell em much!!:rolleyes:

That coin`s probably attached to the bottom of his pocket by a length of knicker elastic.:p I should know, I`ve been drinking with a few.

Mic

Back