• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Supersized supermoon!

In the last 3 full moons, I have had a 14 and a 15.... I'm definitely out.

Is it Monday night then lads the supermoon seems like a few people are getting out I'm gonna have some of that aswell i think. Cause I'll probably be about 80 years old on the next one.

1354hrs GMT Monday afternoon is the official time for being at it's maximum apparent size, all downhill from there.

What direction will the moon rise on Monday evening?

Best to be on the opposite bank I'm supposing, for both aesthetic and stealth reasons?

Well, to answer my own question after googling, I have a pretty good general knowledge but it seems that I had managed to reach 53-y-o without knowing that the moon pretty much always rises in the same place ... I think it's 'cos when you read about the night sky it always says"Venus will rise in the east at 20.33 or whatever" so because it says that I never realised it was always the east for all celestial bodies (with similar slight seasonal variations as the sun !) Doh no wonder I could never get my head around my dad's star charts (he was a ship's captain)

Ah well at least that'll help me with which swim(s) to choose on Monday then.

Just seen the amount of snow water thats gone in on the Trent.... I will give this one a miss.

If it's anything like the experiences of Patrick Moore live editions of The Sky at Night, we won't be able to see the moon for cloud! However, the gravitational effects (whatever they may be) will still be at work... ;)

Crikey Graham, given your pedigree that's some admission! All to do with the earth's rotation and also why the vortex turns anti-clockwise when you empty the bath in the northern hemisphere! (Coriolis effect.) The Australian baths empty clockwise!

Snow melt until Saturday but then maybe proper south westerly rain straight after that.. Mmm! we shall see what Monday brings, might be the first outing for the thermal undies.

Crikey Graham, given your pedigree that's some admission! All to do with the earth's rotation and also why the vortex turns anti-clockwise when you empty the bath in the northern hemisphere! (Coriolis effect.) The Australian baths empty clockwise!

I do quite well when I watch University Challenge and got one right about the moons of Uranus the other day, more through knowledge of mythology than astronomy, and I could have told you that the SUN rises in the west on Venus, but it has amazed and unsettled me that I never knew till yesterday something that pretty much every human being who has ever lived for the last two hundred thousand years has known.

One thing that I have inherited from my dad is a healthy distrust of BBC weather forecasters ... but it's looking good that the predicted minimums (minima?) for Sunday night and Monday night are rising all the time ... we're now on 12 degrees minimum Monday night for York... with a gentle south-westerly (and yes I know my Beaufort Scale & my shipping forecast areas by heart!)

All to do with the earth's rotation and also why the vortex turns anti-clockwise when you empty the bath in the northern hemisphere! (Coriolis effect.) The Australian baths empty clockwise!

I wouldn't bet your house on that....urban myth! The coriolis effect is too small to impact in such a way on such small bodies of water.

Back