• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sub £150 barbel rod

I bought 3 Infinity's a while back for around £120 each brand new, 2 for a friend and one for me. I personally would have one over these than a Torrix 2lb/1.75lb, my reasons. the blank is superb, a great action with some more power in the butt over a Torrix, the rings on the Infinity are imo the best I have seen on any off the shelf rod, the armlock cork butt works a treat and better than the standard round section etc. I have had a Torrix 1.75 and a 2 lb but I sold them on as they just didnt feel right in use, it smay sound daft but they were far too springy, if you get my drift.

Just my opinion and I hope I dont upset any Torrix users, its just me, they dont suit me.

Jon, where did you find infinity's for that price?

Hi Mark from a guy who works in a tackle shop fortunately. There is 2 x 2.25's on ebay at the mo, might be too heavy for you though.

So then gents,
What do you think is the best rod out there for less than £150..

Cheers

Luke

Ron Thompson Clarrisa Barbel rod 1.75lb with Avon quiver tops, cost £35 new a few years ago, don't know if they are still made or the price. This was bought as a second rod and has caught more barbel than any of my other rods. I think that it must be the name Clarrisa, that attracts Bertie

Ron Thompson Clarrisa Barbel rod 1.75lb with Avon quiver tops, cost £35 new a few years ago, don't know if they are still made or the price. This was bought as a second rod and has caught more barbel than any of my other rods. I think that it must be the name Clarrisa, that attracts Bertie
I must admit Jim, I have been thinking of trading in my stash of specimen rods for one of those Avanti Twin Tips from Dragon Carp, it has the most extraordinary action I have ever seen on a rod, even better than a Shimano Purist.

I must admit Jim, I have been thinking of trading in my stash of specimen rods for one of those Avanti Twin Tips from Dragon Carp, it has the most extraordinary action I have ever seen on a rod, even better than a Shimano Purist.

Yes, they are very good. Lovely action with a bit of oomph in the butt. Just remember to take some araldite with you.

a pair of perrigrine flood rods mk1

wouldnt part with them for anythig

awsome rods

They don't have a rated test curve Jon.
Correct, thats because of the spliced in section admittedly, but I have sometimes wondered what the test curve of the original blank was before the section was cut back?
Yes Phil it is an absolute gem of a rod and will be and may already be a well sought after classic..

Back