• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sturgeon - UK

Tim Walden

Alright folks,

I'd love to catch a sturgeon from the Fraser or St Lawrence, but money and time don't allow this at the moment. So, does anyone know a lake near Bedford where I could have a crack at one?

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

Agreed on choice & cost of preferred venue.

Due to work constraints I had a quick 12 hr bash mid November on a central Midlands pond that normally I would not touch with a barge pole. Given the time of the year & that conditions were very hostile on a very exposed site, no one else was to be seen at all - just as I would prefer it.

When the owner came round to collect the money all he talked about was the sturgeon, nothing about carp fishing at all. His main point was that just like in garden ponds, sturgeon literally hug the margins going round & round in circles.

I was not really interested initially with the sturgeon, but weather conditions for the evening dropped & as I wanted a pull on the rod I put one rod in the margin as advised by the fishery owner. This was reiterated that I was getting line bites, despite slack lining & the use of backleads, tight to the bank which given the lack of surface activity I was certain was sturgeon activity.

Cast the rod no more than a rod length out in 70cm depth fishing paste with a small scattering of small paste pellets & hemp & had two runs across two hours. Strange lunging fights - but so easy to catch despite conditions where it would have been an achievement to catch standard uk fish.

Cheers, Jon

Last edited:
Alright folks,

I'd love to catch a sturgeon from the Fraser or St Lawrence, but money and time don't allow this at the moment. So, does anyone know a lake near Bedford where I could have a crack at one?

Cheers,

Tim

You and me both, Tim. I know of a nice lake in France(not very near Bedford, granted) where, if you were to fish it, chances are you'd probably catch one. My brother's had it, as have two of my friends and it seems to come out very regular. I, quite possibly, was attatched to it for getting on four hours. If it wasn't the sturgeon then it was was certainly one of the big cats that also reside in this lake. The sturgeon has a name by the way, Merv, and he usually swings the needle round to just under, or over the ton. There was, and may well still be another, smaller sturgeon in the same lake, Mini-Merv (imaginative naming, eh). They are quite a sight to behold when first hooked, quite "marlinesque". I was standing next to my brother when he hooked the great thing and I swear it leapt a clear 6ft out of the water. Truely amazing!

Speak to you soon Tim.

All the best,
Haydn

Last edited:
Jon, it was only a few years after this that the lake Lezay's owner's son-in-law passed his PADI diving examinations. He decided to have a look at the lake bed and they found, to their horror, that the lake bed had hundreds of what looked like fence posts sticking up out of the bottom. They immediatly closed the lake for fishing and subsequently drained it and moved all the stock to another of their lakes. It was something of a miracle that they didn't lose much of their stock to tethering. The lakes owner, Steve, knew what went in and when they drained the lake they got most of it back out again, inc. the cats and the previously mentioned Merv.

When my brother took the sturgeon he hooked it in over 15ft of water, which probably acounts for the acrobatics. It fell to a lump of squid within five minutes of being cast out for the evening session. From memory it took about 2.5 hours for him to land the fish and he was in and out of the boat four or five times.

As for my four hours, I'm not even sure it was the sturgeon; it was probably more likely one of the larger resident cats. I too was in and out of the boat several times and probably lost it on account of it being round a fellow angler's line (one from my group, no less, who point blank refused to bring in his line, even when I warned him that the fish was heading straight through his swim). After twenty minutes or so faffing around untangling rods and lines the fish had every chance to plot up somewhere and just sit it out. After another hour and half sitting directly above it, heavy and hoeing, I eventually got everything back minus the hook. I clipped up my rods my rods and retired to the bivvy for the night, shattered and gutted.

Last edited:
Good practice on the fisheries owners part to take the massive effort to drain & clean out the lake. Due respect.

I can totally understand the need for getting in and out of the boat & that makes every part of the fight even more eventful & memorable. So many parts of the fight to overcome & the subsequent relief's! But for another angler to refuse to bring in his lines is absolutely incredible.

Seeing someone fighting a fish near my lines I would get a gauge as to what was what & probably reel the proximate rod in, at least drop the tips & pay line. After 20 mins I would reel all my rods in no problem - you know it's going to be something different special. But a fight over an hour, no brainer. With the use of a boat - mandatory line removal by all proximate. I would want to watch & help as a by stander as much as possible.

Working on a lake in France for a season I have seen antics like this. That chap in one fail sweep will never be able to gain angling credibility again. I could use many a word, but chuff would be one of them.

Nice one for sharing!

Dovecote lake Newport Pagnell used to have a few Sturgeon.It was a syndicate water last time I looked, but local enqs should give you an answer.

I heard that Witch Lakes was almost a dead cert for a monster sturgeon or cat but you had to pay a premium for it and the stock density was so high I don't know how satisfying it would be. I believe the EA demanded they remove their stock a while back anyway although I don't know if they have yet.

I've been looking for somewhere closer to home too after trying and failing at a water up north a while back. Everyone along the windward bank caught that day and the best tactic seemed to be to fish a huge lump of meat right under the rod tip. Bites would often just be a gentle shaking of the rod tip unlike anything I've seen before or since. They are definitely not the brightest of fish and it seems that the same sturgeon are often caught several times in a day.

Back