• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stroudwater Navigation / Thames Severn Canal

Kevin Speight

Does anyone fish the above water? I was in the area yesterday with a light lure rod and had a little wander around the Stroud area. I had a handful of Perch to around 6oz and saw some nice sized Roach. The water was absolutely gin clear, possibly the clearest I've ever fished in, which obviously shows up any flaws in presentation!
I was just wondering if anyone else on here fishes it with any regularity, and whether its worth the 50 minute drive for me to continue investigating? I've got the Kennet & Avon Canal more or less on the doorstep, but I've found the Perch and Pike sport to be inconsistent around my local bit (Devizes area), so am looking further afield.
Thanks in advance for any info.

I’ve never fished the Stroudwater, even though it’s quite local to me.

There is a good tackle shop in Stonehouse (Lobby’s) so I would talk to them.

Other local(ish) places to try would be the Cotswold Water Park pits, upper Thames and other parts of the K and A canal. The B Avon also has pockets of decent perch.

I’ve never fished the Stroudwater, even though it’s quite local to me.

There is a good tackle shop in Stonehouse (Lobby’s) so I would talk to them.

Other local(ish) places to try would be the Cotswold Water Park pits, upper Thames and other parts of the K and A canal. The B Avon also has pockets of decent perch.
Thanks Tim. Yeah, I'm fortunate in the the B Avon is very local and I've explored a fair proportion of it, managing a handful of decent specimens. The K&A I tend to find provides better sport in the Devizes pounds and out towards Pewsey. Since the enormous Foxhangers marina went in below Rowde the canal that side just doesn't look right to me or inspire much confidence.
I had a bash on a couple of the Cotswold Water Park pits last year, but can't say they particularly inspired me. I prefer my waters a little more intimate and ideally as angler free as possible!
I'll continue to have a tickle on the Stroudwater; I think it has potential and I'm up in the area once a week for the next couple of months so I should be able to squeeze an hour in here and there. If you're local, I'd recommed a recce. I reckon it has potential.

Thanks Tim. Yeah, I'm fortunate in the the B Avon is very local and I've explored a fair proportion of it, managing a handful of decent specimens. The K&A I tend to find provides better sport in the Devizes pounds and out towards Pewsey. Since the enormous Foxhangers marina went in below Rowde the canal that side just doesn't look right to me or inspire much confidence.
I had a bash on a couple of the Cotswold Water Park pits last year, but can't say they particularly inspired me. I prefer my waters a little more intimate and ideally as angler free as possible!
I'll continue to have a tickle on the Stroudwater; I think it has potential and I'm up in the area once a week for the next couple of months so I should be able to squeeze an hour in here and there. If you're local, I'd recommed a recce. I reckon it has potential.
It's a lovely bit of water, you'd probably be better off down towards Stonehouse. There's an excellent tackle shop there that I'm sure would help with your enquiries.

Just a note to both Tim and Chris above. Thanks for pointing me towards Lobby's Tackle in Stonehouse. What a superb shop, with their finest merchandise being the freely offered, excellent advice on the local venues.
I fished a few hours this afternoon. Dreadful conditions for lure fishing, but winkled a few out and have seen enough to confirm that there's serious potential here.

Just a note to both Tim and Chris above. Thanks for pointing me towards Lobby's Tackle in Stonehouse. What a superb shop, with their finest merchandise being the freely offered, excellent advice on the local venues.
I fished a few hours this afternoon. Dreadful conditions for lure fishing, but winkled a few out and have seen enough to confirm that there's serious potential here.
A dying bread, a good quality tackle shop. They turn their own casters, which in turn make for great perch bait. ;)

Back