• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stretching mono

Alec Hague

Senior Member & Supporter
By this I don't mean just mono has a stretching capability. What happens to me, when I get a really hard fishing mid double common is that after the fish is landed, which sometimes takes 10/15 mins, once it's in the net , I open the bail arm to stop any possible pressure on the fish. I unhook, put it back as quickly as I can then when I pick up the rod, the mono beyond the spool is like a birds next , often twisted and fused together as it the stretching has warmed the line. I keep a loose clutch, can't remember when I last had a line or hook length break on me. All I get is mono does stretch from advisors, but so much so I cut off maybe 20 ft. I thought that perhaps I was holding the rod too high, IE line out of water but it still happens if the rod is low. If this is normal fine but I think I am doing something wrong. I currently use krysten kriptonyte. I have effectively a molten mass of mono when it happens. Any ideas, advice guess?Alec

Hi Alec, it may be the mainline you use to be honest. I play of the clutch mostly ( I’m referring to carping here btw) because it the best like for like and I have towed in monsters for a week in France with out your issues. Playing them high low rod tip side to side round and round sometimes. It may pay you to slack off the clutch and pull out a couple of feet once fish is landed rather than bail off. I do need to strip of a rod length after 5/6 sessions I’m on esp syncro for reference.

Thanks Daniel.
TBH I am only talking fiercely feisty carp , mid double commons.. I can't think barbel fight any harder. For example yesterday one came to the net 4 times and still bounced away. I don't tow them in, using barbel rods or medium feeders, The bit I can't get my head around is, once the fish is in the net, as I don't want to risk any pressure on its mouth, hence the bail arm and , then there is no tension and I think no further heat generation!. Then the line goes haywire. Krytonite is supposed to be good line and I have had it with other lines but they were cheapos. . I have synchro but think maybe a bit over gunned for my fishing.. Imagine foul hooking in margins, that's the same effect at this club water with these older fish. They wont give in. I

is it the same on different reels ? I had a reel once that had a failed line roller that did cause some issues as mentioned above ?

But, it's happened twice on the same rod in a month. ( same reel). You may have a point! I have a spare 3k so will change it and see what happens.

Not stupid I have a lot of one thing as well 🤣🤣

My only things I can sort of help is

1. Check your line rollers work freely

2. Always load line nice and tight in a bowl of water warmish soaked for an hour or so get some nice tension on the line.

3. The line may be a little undergunned for the fish you are fishing for as it’s getting to much stretch there for coiling up.

4. Could try and I know this is not much different than fishing out punch out a pva bag full of stones mainline tied on wait for it to melt and reel back in under tension wet and will take twist out the line.
*you could also do this by walking it out along the bank and bring it back through a baby wipe (un scented water wipe jobby

I’m am the fussy line / line lay person going 😂😂 I always end up messing round with the line lay washers in my spools to make sure it’s as should be as it rarely is from factory and it ensure I get very little bother from line issues.

Not sure how I can check the bail are turns but I will strip it tomorrow. Hopefully you have put your finger on it!. Much appreciate the guidance.

Get a bit of line or something small and rubber and check it spins freely or moves

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpeg
    IMG_4395.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 80
By this I don't mean just mono has a stretching capability. What happens to me, when I get a really hard fishing mid double common is that after the fish is landed, which sometimes takes 10/15 mins, once it's in the net , I open the bail arm to stop any possible pressure on the fish. I unhook, put it back as quickly as I can then when I pick up the rod, the mono beyond the spool is like a birds next , often twisted and fused together as it the stretching has warmed the line. I keep a loose clutch, can't remember when I last had a line or hook length break on me. All I get is mono does stretch from advisors, but so much so I cut off maybe 20 ft. I thought that perhaps I was holding the rod too high, IE line out of water but it still happens if the rod is low. If this is normal fine but I think I am doing something wrong. I currently use krysten kriptonyte. I have effectively a molten mass of mono when it happens. Any ideas, advice guess?Alec
Just fish for hard fighting barbel 😉

Alec...

Are you sure you are not over filling the spool?

It's the major cause of line spilling/bouncing off when no pressure on it.

Not sure how I can check the bail are turns but I will strip it tomorrow. Hopefully you have put your finger on it!. Much appreciate the guidance.
Alec, I get a piece of string with a few spots of thin oil on it. Pass it under the bail arm roller and pull it backwards and forwards . This should clean it and lubricate it, then you should be able to see it turn freely.

Alec, I get a piece of string with a few spots of thin oil on it. Pass it under the bail arm roller and pull it backwards and forwards . This should clean it and lubricate it, then you should be able to see it turn freely.
Will be trying that within the hour. Much appreciated

must confess I dropped a little oil on the bail arm just in case last night which was very stupid of me, as its free this morning and I cant establish if that was the fault. Ho ho. But I will check all the others to see how they are. Great tip nonetheless.

Just been cleaning the quiver rod ready for next week. It's the one I had the line issue with. I see that the line on the quiver went round the stem between two rings. Suspect that's the major cause IE heat friction plus possible seizure temporarily of bail arm roller and maybe 8 pushing it a bit. I really appreciate all your input guys. Off on Thursday to decoy lakes to meet a pal and looking forward to try it. Hopefully he chooses a lake with tench! 80 miles from me but a meet up with pals is great.

Ps. When it's happened before I have cut line above and below the mass then pulled it out through the top ring. But on W ed I just put it away!

Back