• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Strap lead mould

I have read on other forums where people machine/router the desired pattern of weight into a piece of hardwood and then pour the lead into this. I should think you would get quite a few leads before the mould was beyond use again. It would take a bit of trial and error to get right size cutout to give the weight required.

Hope this make sense.

Pete,
Try ebay shop "anglingmoulds" ,It's where I buy all my moulds from, he has over 100 different moulds to choose from. Be sure you read up on the safety aspects before messing with molten lead.Good luck.

mick

Pete,
Try ebay shop "anglingmoulds" ,It's where I buy all my moulds from, he has over 100 different moulds to choose from. Be sure you read up on the safety aspects before messing with molten lead.Good luck.

mick

I have various moulds'from this company, including the strap on, i have one that comes in 100,150 and 170grams moulds, there is also a smaller weighted version.

I use the home made ones, they last for ages, once they have been used a few times a thin layer of carbonised wood forms on them which acts as an insulator preventing any more degradation of the mould.
Having said that mine don't tend to last long as I'm always giving them away.

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll get my order in with anglingmoulds. Although making my own mould out of wood is a possibility I'd rather get the purpose made ones to be honest.

Mick,

I used to make a lot of leads when I was 100% carping a few years back (before I saw the light)so I know the dangers involved. Very good issue raised regarding safety though, thanks.

Cheers,

Pete.

Just a bit of a follow on from this but whats recommended for the main body of the feeder construction? I got some wire mesh a while back but am thinking the holes may be a bit big. I had a quick scout round focus diy yesterday but didnt see anything suitable.

Pete.

Hi Everyone,

Bit late joining this thread and this is my first post on the site, so hello.

If you don't want to melt lead you can easily build up weighty feeder straps from sheet lead by cutting a suitable sized strap and cutting a second piece of lead slightly shorter than the length of the feeder, but up to twice as wide as the strap itself. This second piece is than folded around the strap and hammered flat. I make my feeders (out of plastic drink bottles) oval so I can have a wide strip of lead on the flat side, like the Korum ones.

Additional lead can be folded, hammered flat and inserted between the strap and fold piece of lead to build up the weight as required.

The single thickness ends are then easily folded over into the feeder in the usual manner - 5-8 oz or more feeder weights can be made quickly like this and are very robust.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just a bit of a follow on from this but whats recommended for the main body of the feeder construction? I got some wire mesh a while back but am thinking the holes may be a bit big. I had a quick scout round focus diy yesterday but didnt see anything suitable.

Pete.

Pete...You could give these a try...don't be put off by the white ones they do take colour...it's a job for the Kids/Grandkids and a felt tip marker !..:D

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_...w=swimfeeder+bodies&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Back