• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Strange things on the river bank.

Not my story. However a friend was fishing a local stretch a few years ago and told me a couple of guys walked past his swim with a shotgun.

I was on the upper Trent last Christmas time, there was two lads Duck shooting on the opposite bank. I was tucked in down the bank. It got dark, the Ducks came in, they started shooting. I just sat there and hoped they'd seen me before it got dark. šŸ‘€ šŸ‘€

As to funny things you see. There was always a disproportionate amount of Coconuts floating down the river Soar.

I was tucked away on the Wye a few seasons ago when a car came slowly along the far bank then stopped almost opposite me. A shotgun barrel appeared from the window and the guy shot a canada goose which was one of around 20 having a breather on the far bank beach.

I did reflect on the fact that the goose was directly in line with where I was sat so i am grateful that the guy was a good shot!

I was on the upper Trent last Christmas time, there was two lads Duck shooting on the opposite bank. I was tucked in down the bank. It got dark, the Ducks came in, they started shooting. I just sat there and hoped they'd seen me before it got dark. šŸ‘€ šŸ‘€

As to funny things you see. There was always a disproportionate amount of Coconuts floating down the river Soar.
The coconuts are down to the asian cremation ceremonies I do believe.

Not quite "on the bank" but many years ago I fished Loch Ness with a local guy who swore blind he had seen the "monster" 4 times!!! Apart from that he seemed quite normal. I remember catching a grilse and some brownies. Interesting day!!

Strangest thing that's ever happened to me was almost being knocked out by an electrocuted swan . . .was fishing a well known far bank deep hole / bend on the Colne in waders - its always had cables 'over' the swim that I'd presumed were simple telephone cables however being well above rod level they've never been a problem . . .was trotting away without a care in the world when two swans flew in low; the second got caught in the cables and like a cartoon illustration literally got 'zapped' and there was an almighty bang - the poor creature dropped from at least 25ft above my head and I fell backwards into the river as the bird dropped vertically and almost smashed the end of my rod . . .my unfortunate indelible memory is of the large white mess floating off downstream upside down, 'sizzling' and with its legs still kicking into the air. I myself got a massive booty but carried on fishing regardless and caught some decent chub!

I remember sitting on Ufton on the Kennet and getting showered by falling gun pellet!

My loud screams towards the gun shots seemed to work.
Similarly Graham, Lower Severn with a very high bank/cliff behind me, clay pigeon shoot going on up there, I spent most of the session facing away from the river to dodge falling clays.

Seem to remember years back mid 90's someone on the Teme fishing when a Bear came running down the bank. Think it was a circus bear being taken for a wash but ran away from the trainer. The angler must have pooped himself

I don't know if it's a common occurrence but I've never seen this before : I was tackling down this afternoon from fishing the Middle Severn when a duck (female mallard) came downstream, pirouetting freely in the current, right in front of me, with its head firmly tucked under its wing (like you see when they're sleeping on the bank). I thought "Poor thing, another duck shot and left to die slowly in the water" (they regularly shoot just upstream from where I was fishing ...although I'd not heard shots today).
A few minutes later I watched as it crashed into overhanging branches, woke up, squawked, and flew off upstream!
I've never seen a duck fast asleep actually on the Severn before. If it's common occurrence then maybe that's why there's so many ducks in Bristol šŸ˜‚

Imagine the scene- itā€™s early January and a perfect pikers morning , frost underfoot , mist rising off the river and surrounding fields. Well away from civilisation and birdsong the only noise untilā€¦..I hear an infernal racket that startles me so much that I fall off my chair.
I scramble off the ground to see and hear a bloke in kilt and full regalia starting up a set of bagpipes!
And off he wanders along the flood bank making the biggest din Iā€™ve ever heard and disappears into the mist
Never saw him return but did move swims and later had a 26 & 21 - never had a twenty before
A day Iā€™ll never forget

I was on the Thames at Staines one evening when a deer swam past, down the the centre of the river. It looked just like it was out for an evening swim, not making for the bank or anything. It turned itsā€™ head and looked at me as it went past, and in my mind I heard it greet me with the word ā€˜Eveningā€.

Few years back down the Itchen I was having a piss behind the shipping container behind the recycling receptacles. The car park immediately above the Woodmill pool. It was a rat haven underneath.
Glimpsed a fox out of the corner of my eye but no, it was a fox sized feline, grey, black and grey striped tail.
Vanished in seconds after our eyes met. Head said Lynx, certainly what it looked like.

Imagine the scene- itā€™s early January and a perfect pikers morning , frost underfoot , mist rising off the river and surrounding fields. Well away from civilisation and birdsong the only noise untilā€¦..I hear an infernal racket that startles me so much that I fall off my chair.
I scramble off the ground to see and hear a bloke in kilt and full regalia starting up a set of bagpipes!
And off he wanders along the flood bank making the biggest din Iā€™ve ever heard and disappears into the mist
Never saw him return but did move swims and later had a 26 & 21 - never had a twenty before
Sounds like the the guy who owns Thorpe Underwood meadows fishery

Pikers lament?

Back