• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stotz, Styls etc

Hurgen Akindji

Hi all.Im starting to get into pole fishing and want to make a real go of it. I have heard about different types of shot for making up float rigs and just wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of a comprehensive guide to stotz and styls etc. What are they,their advantages and which ones to get,tools etc. Much appreciated

Hurgen, if you could detail a bit more wher you intend to go and what spcies etc.., i will gladley help, been doing it for years on the match scene.
P.M me to free up this space if you want.

Basically i want to fish canals, fisheries like Bury Hill for the winter Roach and Perch. Trotting Rivers for chub and Roach etc. Also i want to start using my pole ever since i organised my Kiley box! I had never used it before but the other day i took it out for a test drive on my local and loved it. I want to know when to use normal shots, styls or stotz. Im not even sure exactly what they are. From what i understand they are for very light lines and presentations but then why not use shots in sizes 10 and upwards?

Styls = usefull for when your fishing baits where you need a slow more natural presentation, ie, hemp,pinkies bread punch, particulaly hemp as the roach do not mistake it for the shot thus no line bites. same as stotz they are longer than normal shot so have more surface area thus sinking slowr and more natural, they also have the bonus of being much earier to move on the line without causing line damage, so i would prefere thes on the rivers.
I do tho without doubt use normal shot on the canals, as most canal baits need to be kept still for natural presentation, so using styls or stotz, would give you the greater surface area causing problems with any tow you may get on the canal lifting and towing the bait un naturaly.
Any more help just ask.;)

Hurgen,
Personally I prefer shot types in preference to styls.
I did fish will styles for a while when hemp fishing but I now find that using number 10sand 8 shots well balanced give better presentation and shot bites when understood can give very useful feedback on how the fish are taking the hemp and by understanding this, you can adjust your feed pattern to suit.
Styls tangle easily,do not bulk well and because they are hard to slide do not help in adjustments.
My fav shot is the Sensas Green,but like most tackle it can be personnel choice.
Keep it simple even in small sizes 12s for instance and I dont think you will be far wrong.
Use groups of eights in lieu of bigger shot and it gives you plenty of scope.The best 'shot' you will find about is the 'backshot' placed the wrong side of the float.The impact of this in steadying presentation can be quite dramatic and you need to try it and see how it works.
It is rare that I will use less than a number 8 on the river 10 on a canal and the tub of styals in my box has been there years with only the two largest sizes ever being used.
tight lines (or elastic !)
Ken

Thanks for replies lads! Some useful info for me to digest. So basically use Stotz instead of Styls. From what i understand stotz are better for when fishing smaller than 8's,and when fishing still water type conditions? As for the normal shots,use them for running water? Please correct me if i have misunderstood.

Hi Hurgen,

I use both style and stotz, stotz are designed for the larger diameter lines helping to stop the weights pinging from the line when you are landing fish, styles as said above are for a better presentation when using smaller baits. I tend to use style weights when roach fishing and stotz for comercial fishing!!

Back