• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Storm kettle

Andrew Richardson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi everyone I've just bought a storm kettle thinking it would save me a bit of weight in the ruck sack instead of the flask and then realised I would have to take water with me which defeats the object. So the question is can we use river water in the kettle?. Good luck for the new season everyone

andrew last time i used water straight from a lake i spent the next 30 odd hours stuck in a bush with terrific stomach pains and the runs, i know some guys took water bottles that purify water but its far from being infallible,
good thing with kelly kettles are you can cook on em, warm pies and stuff up on em and they keep your hands warm in winter;):) and cost little or nothing to run, remember on wet days or periods take some finely chopped up wood to start you off and i use the gel what the army use to cook with:)

Use purification tablets, one tablet makes safe two litres of suspect water.Amazon sell at about £2.50 for three tablets.

Neil, not being contraversial but most purifying tablets wont purify rats pee or a lot of other contamination, best way is to take fresh water with you, leave a largish container in the car boot and just replenish with 2 or 3 litres when or if needed.:)

Neil, not being contraversial but most purifying tablets wont purify rats pee or a lot of other contamination, best way is to take fresh water with you, leave a largish container in the car boot and just replenish with 2 or 3 litres when or if needed.:)

Oh! gawd now you tell me:eek:

You can collect water the commando way by wrapping a plastic bag around tree branches, in leaf, tie open end with twine and the sun plus condensation will do the rest, or as you suggest you can take tap water, but hardly bush craft:rolleyes:

Back