• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Storm drain pollution of rivers

Good move, a bit of education for the general public as to where drain water eventually ends up.

Out of sight, out of mind with a lot of folk Anthony. Good idea to make people aware though.
Industrial estates are some of the worst culprits when unscrupulous types save money from expensive chemical and oil disposal collection and simply tip it down the communal drain.
I remember an abandoned electro plating firms vats corroding that didn't have the required catch trays,...acid seeped down the yard drain and into a ditch which fed into the river Mole,...resulting in yet more pollution and dead fish stocks.
Similar thing happened on the north Wey sometime back as well.
Worrying when you consider how precarious our rivers and streams are.

There is a venue not far from me which is a balancing lake for storm water systems. I have often thought about what may run into this lake and have a negative affect on water quality,macro-invertebrates and the fish!
It may be one reason why the venue just doesn't seem to fish as well as it once did?? The roach and skimmers which were plentiful at one time just don't seem to show like did. You could usually catch roach even in the coldest conditions!

Really good idea, I dread to think of some of the substances that thoughtlessly poured down drains.

A lot of other pollutants must run off roads into storm drains on an on-going basis, I would love to know how much pollution is caused by wearing tyres and break pads - when you think about it must be a hell of a lot. Brake pads in particular are full of all sort of toxic metals such as copper (and probably worse), whilst modern tyres must have all sorts of other nasties..:(

There is a venue not far from me which is a balancing lake for storm water systems. I have often thought about what may run into this lake and have a negative affect on water quality,macro-invertebrates and the fish!
It may be one reason why the venue just doesn't seem to fish as well as it once did?? The roach and skimmers which were plentiful at one time just don't seem to show like did. You could usually catch roach even in the coldest conditions!

Living in Tewkesbury, a flood plain, we too have a few of these ponds, I noticed last week that a particular pond I 'stare' in to had a large shoal of Roach that had been missing previously. Another pond had all species that an aged angler used to fish, haven't seen him of late, two scenarios are possible here.:rolleyes:

Have a look.in any supermarket at the drain cleaning products on sale!
Let alone the hydrochloric acid based versions in the plumbing shops.

And then there are all the pesticide products sold by garden centres. With some agricultural grade products the concentration of pesticide on the foil seal alone can be enough to raise 30km of watercourse above the safe limit for drinking water. I'm sure many domestic pesticides must have similar pollution potential albeit on a reduced scale.

...also you will find that water and sewage companies have underground pipework that are linked to the public surface water drainage system. They can also abuse them by discharging hazardous wastes and substances in this way, to where they cannot be easily traced back, identified and prosecuted when there is a noticed fish kill etc.

Back