• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Storing floats for stalking?

Marcus Ruoff

Hello,
how do you store your floats when you are stalking for chub, barbel etc.?
I havent found a satisfying method or product made for the purpose so far. I am aware of the tubes but the floats rattle in there and get damaged. Best way I have found is to put them in a lunch box in plastic bag with our without foam pads.
But for long floats the boxes are too short.
So any products you can recommend or things you are using?

Thank you and best regards

Marcus

I always use as small a tube as is possible, even use a old pva tube with the screw on lid if the floats arn't too long.
If I was worried about the floats rattling around I would just pack it out with a bit of foam, or tissue.

A selection of tubes. I just take the narrowest one possible for a particular trip. Then a bit of foam as advertised above.

Tim, if you go into an art supply shop, like hobbycraft, they with have fold up wallets for storing artists brushes. Each brush (float) pushes into a compartment and then the whole thing either folds up or rolls up.

Tim, if you go into an art supply shop, like hobbycraft, they with have fold up wallets for storing artists brushes. Each brush (float) pushes into a compartment and then the whole thing either folds up or rolls up.
My missus made a few of these for me. Sounds much the same as what you’re describing Mike.
IMG_5349.jpeg
IMG_5350.jpeg
IMG_5351.jpeg
IMG_5352.jpeg
IMG_5353.jpeg

Hard spectacle cases will carry around 15 balsas,loafers,chubbers, avons etc been using them for twenty years plus.

Haydns cases are far more pleasing to the eye though.

Not to hijack the thread but on topic..

There’s some. Ice floats kicking round in this thread 🤣 I’ve used Ian Lewis float but any other recommendations on hand made floats PS Ian’s floats I’m well happy with.

Just be nice to see hear of some others

My mate Paul Cook’s floats are lovely. Paul seems to be able to make exquisitely beautiful floats that still seem apt to use for their intended purpose. Andrew Fields are phenomenal but for me they seem to fall into a category of floats that’s best described as objet d’art. Simply too fancy (and expensive) to actually go anywhere near water with.
There are quite a lot of float makers that come and go. I guess there’s quite a few chaps have given up their day jobs to try and make a go of float making, only to realise that it amounts to a lot of agg for the minimum wage, until you’ve made a name for yourself.

I've been making my own for the last fifteen years or so and do it for the enjoyment alone. There’s an added level of achievement to be had from catching fish on your own made tackle, but I’ve never once thought I’d like to start selling them and then having to listen to people wining about there being a speck of dust in the varnish etc. I’ve given a few away over the years and watching my brother pull nine barbel out of the Wye on one memorable session on an Avon float I made for him was particularly enjoyable, even if I only caught one that day myself.

I could drown this thread with photos but here are just a few.
DSCF3479.jpeg
IMG_4773.jpeg
IMG_4770.jpeg
IMG_4774.jpeg
IMG_4793.jpeg
IMG_4744.jpeg
IMG_4913.jpeg
IMG_4790.jpeg

My mate Paul Cook’s floats are lovely. Paul seems to be able to make exquisitely beautiful floats that still seem apt to use for their intended purpose. Andrew Fields are phenomenal but for me they seem to fall into a category of floats that’s best described as objet d’art. Simply too fancy (and expensive) to actually go anywhere near water with.
There are quite a lot of float makers that come and go. I guess there’s quite a few chaps have given up their day jobs to try and make a go of float making, only to realise that it amounts to a lot of agg for the minimum wage, until you’ve made a name for yourself.

I've been making my own for the last fifteen years or so and do it for the enjoyment alone. There’s an added level of achievement to be had from catching fish on your own made tackle, but I’ve never once thought I’d like to start selling them and then having to listen to people wining about there being a speck of dust in the varnish etc. I’ve given a few away over the years and watching my brother pull nine barbel out of the Wye on one memorable session on an Avon float I made for him was particularly enjoyable, even if I only caught one that day myself.

I could drown this thread with photos but here are just a few.
View attachment 26518View attachment 26519View attachment 26520View attachment 26521View attachment 26522View attachment 26523View attachment 26524View attachment 26525
They’re lovely, you’ve certainly a talent!

Back