• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stolen Fishing tackle... worth reading...

Steve Williams

I've copied this off another site I go on......
A lad had some Pike fishing gear stolen, and due to the sharp eyes of another of the lads on the site, it looks like he might have traced it.....

Just an update on the stolen gear and an eye opener to how quickly things move ,after looking on the various sites all week with no sign of anything i received a pm on here from Ken telling me he had just seen a pair of bb350's with cork handles and the same bloke is also selling 3 Daiwa infinity's. "Doubt it is your gear as it is down here in London but I thought I would check with you just in case". So with the help of Ken who I can't thank enough I confirmed from the pictures on the ad it was in fact my stuff. Ken then kindly phoned the seller for me as I thought my Manchester accent might ring alarm bells after Ken told me the bloke sounded genuine I rang him myself and told him I suspected the tackle was mine and described it to him and where I was, after his initial shock he turned out to be a really genuine lad and I asked him how he came by the gear, he explained he had bought the tackle in good faith from Cash-Converters in Stockport as he was a regular with them and they emailed him when any fishing gear came up for sale, my garage was broken into Sunday, Cash-Converters bought some of the tackle Monday,emailed the buyer Monday afternoon, he paid by card for and received it by courier Wednesday and if not for the sharp eyes of Ken and the fact that the guy advertised it for sale publicly I doubt I would have ever seen any of it again, so for everyone who's had stolen tackle vanish into thin air this is one way it does, my stuff was 200+ miles away in a couple of days

Not sure the seller, cash-converters or the buyer are innocent in all this, but I know the Police are now involved..... Lets hope they catch the scum and he gets his gear stolen.

That's a real eye opener Steve, and when you think about it Cash Converters is where the scu..err customers would go.

I've read that you have to provide ID to sell to cash converters and they take a photo of you, so hopefully they will be able to identify the blighters.

It still seems suspicious that CC in Stockport emails a guy 200 miles away in London and sells the gear to him to sell locally in London.

Photo of seller taken everytime.....well, should be !!!

In a former life I used to visit CC regularly....always found stolen items on every visit - the defence of not knowing or suspecting the items to be stolen will always see the store come out fine, if not a few quid down....

....not totally convinced of innocence in this case though, seems to have travelled a long distance really quickly for no apparent reason??

Paul

Cash Convertors is more commonly known as "Crack Convertors" :mad:

They will be pretty tight with photo and address ID is my guess or risk visiting the courts for handling stolen goods.

Stephen

If you look at their website you will see what ID they require and one item does have to be photo e.g photocard driving licence, passport etc.

That, however, assumes the branch follows the rules every time.

I thought it strange that someone so distant would buy from so far away just to sell on.

Also Sheltons of Peterborough got broken into and tackle stolen seems to be a massive rise in tackle theft over the last 6 weeks.

Hi
just go back to Crack Converters with the tackle and the police. They will have Mondays record of who they bought the tackle of.
Its law that you keep a record as a dealer of any secondhand goods purchased and who from.
Jy

I bet they bought it from someone called M Mouse , Disneyland , Paris . He is a notorious tea leaf . All round poor do for the victim and indeed the chap who bought the gear , I presume in good faith .:(

Not wishing to be judgemental but if the immediate response of the seller was "I bought it in good faith" then this indicates to me that they know what they are selling may have suspect provenance, have ensured they know the "right" phrase to say and have probably experienced something similar before.

Cash Converters, car boot sales etc provide an ideal way for thieves to easily receive cash for stolen goods. Unfortunately, it seems that there are many 'decent, law abiding folk' who just can't turn down a bargain!

I went to a local (to Shrewsbury) auction a few weeks ago and bought what I estimate to be over £250 worth of brand new, in the original packing, top brand tackle for the reserve price of £50.
Stolen? You decide.

If you said yes you were wrong, it was the proceeds of an insurance claim for stolen tackle which was paid out in vouchers for a local tackle shop, I spoke to the vendor, he was selling it because it had sat unused for two years.
Just because a thing was not bought retail does not mean it is stolen.

That's a valid point Adrian and I agree with you that it's possible to buy perfectly legitimate goods from a variety of sources.
I'll make one last comment though - As an automotive engineer, I travelled away from home a lot and consequently spent more time than I should have in various bars dotted around the U.K. and Europe. A few years ago, I was working for a certain Japanese company, somewhere in the north east. The amount of stolen goods that were offered to me were phenomenal - you name it: mountain bikes, perfume, laptops etc. etc. and I can assure you that there were no shortage of buyers for these bargain basement goods!

Last edited:
Back