• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stinker of a season. Thank god its over

Hi men,

With what's going on in the world the timing for the close season is about right , as I'm sure things will get tighter . Major companies closing , nissan vauxhall and IBC for a start , and I see people on Facebook moaning their french trips are affected , not sure they have grasped the situation . Worrying times I think .

Hatter

Hi men,

With what's going on in the world the timing for the close season is about right , as I'm sure things will get tighter . Major companies closing , nissan vauxhall and IBC for a start , and I see people on Facebook moaning their french trips are affected , not sure they have grasped the situation . Worrying times I think .

Hatter
Finally someone posts that has a grip on reality.

Very very sad Steve.

As you know the river of my youth through to my 60'.

Heartbreaking. Such a beautiful river. Days spent watching them come in to feed on the nearside.

The bridge at Hurst where they powered up the shallows at the sound of feed.

The river alongside the road to TDFC where every overhang held a hidden fish or two.

And if you were quiet enough, you could creep along the bank and find a hidden Granty.

I wonder now the value of the stretch I was instrumental in buying for the club? Then barbel heaven.

Sad days. Pleased I left before the final curtain. At least the special memories of sharing the rivers bounty with so many good pals.
One can only hope that the future brings a revival of sorts.

Heartbreaking ? .... You've got that right G ! I had the last couple of sessions on the river ... last Friday and Saturday night, i blanked, but that didn't surprise me.... I'm not giving up on it though i plan on starting out next year on a lonely little bit you know well ;) where i had 7 from in the first few weeks of the 2017 - 18 season, in fact prior to those sessions last weekend was the last time i wet a line in the Loddon.
As you know I've been spending most of my time fishing the Thames, but this year i haven't been able to settle anywhere, so the Loddon will certainly be figuring in my plans for next season, as will the Thames I'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out, searching out those lonely spots.... where if you're willing to creep along the banks you might well find me hidden somewhere ;):p

For me the season June - March 2020 was mostly a wash-out.

11 visits mostly midday to late evening June to September. 31 fish with 8 doubles. Good start in the floods on the 17th June, but come September, it just rained and rained. I know many revel in these conditions, but I wasn't enjoying it, so mainly abstained for the rest of the season from the 20th September onwards. Work commitments didn't coincide with the 'right' conditions so the 2019-20 was hardly fished at all. 2-3 trips from Sept to the March end. Season highlights? A pb chub and going fishing with an old Pike fishing mate from years ago. There is always next season to look forward to. I take it as it comes these days. Far less driven. Fishing is to enjoy.

I did a lot more pike fishing this winter
Despite cheating with gps/ fish finder enabled bait boats and deepers me and my mate managed 1 small fish in 9 trips each fishing 3 rods🤣🤣
And I think we know what we’re doing!!!
Granted 6 of them sessions were on a new water that hasn’t much history
But honestly I did enjoy it
There’s just something about the anticipation of a drop off going and a one- toner and it could be 3 or 33 on this place
And as with a lot of fishing we left contented that we’d worked at it and tried lots of options- sometimes there is no substitute for grafting
Will be back

September till the floods came had some good trent barbel, a couple of splashers in the tiny waterlevel window ,was it sometime in October. Then nowt , if only I had landed that monster Dearne barbel that I hooked last year !

Back