• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sticky Sharp Hooks

Kevin Stephenson

Does anyone on here use Sticky Sharp hooks ? I am after a replacement for my dwindling supply of Pallatrax hooks for fishing maggot. I also don't want to pay the carp tax on the gardner or esp hooks.

I’d never heard of them... The hooks look pretty good and are half the price of some of the big brands. I did notice they only go up to size 10s though, in modern hook sizes, that’s a big bunch of maggots! If you’re looking for something in a smaller size at a sensible price then Guru MWGs are worth a look. They’re normally £1.50 a pack. What’s the reason for not replenishing your Pallatrax hooks?

Another alternative is the korum hooks . I use both the standard ‘expert’ and ‘power’ for my tench fishing , never let me down , even on large rogue carp

I’d never heard of them... The hooks look pretty good and are half the price of some of the big brands. I did notice they only go up to size 10s though, in modern hook sizes, that’s a big bunch of maggots! If you’re looking for something in a smaller size at a sensible price then Guru MWGs are worth a look. They’re normally £1.50 a pack. What’s the reason for not replenishing your Pallatrax hooks?

Hi Alex they are no longer selling the hook barbed going for the silly idea of the Gripz alternative barbless, i was very happy with the barbed version so why change.

Hi
I’ve used the Gripz ( with some trepidation) but they are a good sharp hook and no issues with them at all
I do a fair bit of maggot fishing for barbel and find good old Drennan wide gape never let me down
Thinner wire than gripz but never had one straighten

Hi
I’ve used the Gripz ( with some trepidation) but they are a good sharp hook and no issues with them at all
I do a fair bit of maggot fishing for barbel and find good old Drennan wide gape never let me down
Thinner wire than gripz but never had one straighten
Cheers for the feedback Paul.

Does anyone on here use Sticky Sharp hooks ? I am after a replacement for my dwindling supply of Pallatrax hooks for fishing maggot. I also don't want to pay the carp tax on the gardner or esp hooks.
You can still get them on eBay in 12 14 16 if that’s the size you want

I have read the Blurb Derek but if its not broke dont try to fix it. I might be missing the next big thing in hook design however I don't think i would ever trust one with a big fish on.

I have read the Blurb Derek but if its not broke dont try to fix it. I might be missing the next big thing in hook design however I don't think i would ever trust one with a big fish on.

The link above is for the old " The Hook " not the new Gripz.

Excellent hook, and what i use, thankfully, i have a good stock. :) :)

I think that the gripz hooks are the same as "the hook" but with grooves instead of a barb. I use gripz wide gape hooks and, believe me, they are very good hooks. Very strong, very sharp, they hook the fish well and I lose hardly any fish. Also easy to remove. Bit more expensive but it is the most important part of your tackle (so I believe).

I've been using the Gripz all summer,just thought that they looked an interesting concept.I'm very impressed with them.I haven't lost a single fish,barbel and chub,and that's on my shallow and very weedy river.
Even when the fish bury themselves in the streamer weed,all I've done is lower the rod decreasing the pressure and the fish have swam away,quite risky with a barbless hook.
Whether the grooves make a difference or I've just been lucky who knows.I've had chub to over 5lbs on the size 16's,and barbel close to 10lb's. Size 10 is my most used size.
A very good hook in my opinion.

It looks like the Gardner Talon tips as a replacement i had a look at some this afternoon they look very similar to the pallatrax and about the same price.

I've been using the Gripz all summer,just thought that they looked an interesting concept.I'm very impressed with them.I haven't lost a single fish,barbel and chub,and that's on my shallow and very weedy river.
Even when the fish bury themselves in the streamer weed,all I've done is lower the rod decreasing the pressure and the fish have swam away,quite risky with a barbless hook.
Whether the grooves make a difference or I've just been lucky who knows.I've had chub to over 5lbs on the size 16's,and barbel close to 10lb's. Size 10 is my most used size.
A very good hook in my opinion.
Hi Stephen I appreciate your feedback but I don't think I would ever fully trust the hookhold.

Hi Stephen I appreciate your feedback but I don't think I would ever fully trust the hookhold.
I am extremely fussy about the hooks I use and I truly believe that the hookhold from gripz is as good as any barbed hook. I fish the Trent like you do Kevin and I have caught plenty of barbel this season on gripz hooks.
I hope you find a hook to suit you as I am aware that hook choice is a very personal thing.

Back