• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stick float rod

Can anyone tell me where the super tench float fits in with the Drennan tench float range? I can see it in the photos Bob posted but I'm not sure about the quality or recommended main lines in comparison to the others

I'll just say that I got myself mk3 for barbel trotting earlier this year and couldn't be more happy with the rod. It is sensitive and very powerful, stopping decent barbel in strong current, foulhooked in the dorsal fin is some test for the rod. Honestly though it's gonna give up with the amount of pressure applied but it handled it perfectly. The strongest of all mks too

As I understand, Drennan Tench Float rods Mks 1 to 3 and Super Tench. Specs and ways to tell them apart (taken from actual rods). Think that the Mk1 and 2's were UK produced and have the weave carbon.

Mk1
Full cork (no reconstituted) 3 legged rings, no writing on top of rod.
3lb to 6 lb lines, Script font, pink/light blue flash.
Gold painted ring tipping to butt ring.
Woven blank carbon

Mk2
Full cork (no reconstituted), writing on TOP and BOTTOM.
3lb to 8 lb lines, Italic capital font, double purple flash on Drennan.
Gold painted tipping to butt ring.
Woven blank carbon.
Grey whipping thread.
Ceramic 3 legged butt then all single legs.

Mk3
Metallic dark grey blank
Three legged ring butt, second then singles and carbide
Reconstituted butt at rear
Marked top and bottom
2.5 to 8lb line
No gold ring/trim/tipping on butt ring

Marked 1lb test curve

Double purple flash on 'Drennan'

Black thread rather than dark grey as on Mk 1 and Super Tench Float

Mk ?
Super Tench Float

Metallic dark grey blank
Three legged rings and carbide
Reconstituted butt at rear
Marked top and bottom
3 to 8lb line
Purple painted ring/trim/tipping on butt ring

Double purple flash on 'Drennan'

All the above have slip rings as reel retainers (no screw winch fittings), are 12' 9" and three equal sections.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bob

Back