• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Steve stayner

Ste Whybrow

Hi! Does anybody no what happened to this guy ,just finished reading the 3rd book (there’s 4 I think) just interested as these books were written some time ago but heard nothing about him cheers ste

I think he passed away a few years back Ste.

I'm pretty sure if you search the archives on here, you'll find some posts by a chap called Albert Watkinson (RIP) who fished with him. Somebody else asked the same question and Albert said he was no longer with us.

Cheers,

Joe

Ps - those P2's you sold me a while back got a bend in them earlier in the week. Couple of jacks but nice to get my first pike of the season.

I think he passed away a few years back Ste.

I'm pretty sure if you search the archives on here, you'll find some posts by a chap called Albert Watkinson (RIP) who fished with him. Somebody else asked the same question and Albert said he was no longer with us.

Cheers,

Joe

Ps - those P2's you sold me a while back got a bend in them earlier in the week. Couple of jacks but nice to get my first pike of the season.
Oh that’s sad,wow when did I sell you them mate got to be a good while ago,did i meet you at anglezarke res?? Doing better than me mate 4 trips all blanks thinking going river this weekend for barbel cheers ste

I did hear that he dropped out of society, left home and became disillusioned with fishing. Do not know if this was correct but the lad who told me years ago fished with Steve. Steve was a good lad whenever I met him and if he has passed on I hope its to a good place. I won a Harrison chimera flood rod in a competition run through one of his books. You had to guess the weight of 3 barbel from photos in a book, closest to the correct weights won.

Oh that’s sad,wow when did I sell you them mate got to be a good while ago,did i meet you at anglezarke res?? Doing better than me mate 4 trips all blanks thinking going river this weekend for barbel cheers ste

Maybe 2 years ago? I forget, time flies. Ebay mate...I remember nearly running out fuel on the rive back from Oldham as I'd come out without my wallet. Must have done the last couple of miles of fumes.

All very sad if he has passed on, especially so with no recognition I can find as a man , writer, and Angler. Surely there must be someone who can shine light on what happened?

No record of his death in the births/deaths register, I did PM Tom back in 2015 when he asked about Steve, what i had heard and posted here. I think his phone number appeared in his books

Last edited:
Don’t know if this helps, but this post from 2006 has his mobile on. It also alludes to him having stopped fishing.

I went to an antique tackle fair in Redditch back in the late 90's and was surprised to see Steve there with a stall. He was selling his 'Strictly Barbel' flavours in the little squeezy bottles. I bought a few of each, 'Enticer' was one of my favourite flavours ever for meat. Had a really good chat with for ages, nice bloke! His demise is very sad!

A friend of mine mentioned to me that some time ago, Steve had been forced to give up fishing due to some serious health problems regarding his back.

Back