• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stay Safe, Please watch this video !

You're right Steven. I've been a river angler for about 45 years and these things can happen very quickly.
First one was when I slipped from a high bank on a frozen day into the River Welland whilst landing a chub. That was very cold. Over two fields to get back to the car.

Into the river Hull. I had to swim to the side full winter clobber on. Interestingly, although it was winter,I fished on until the close.

Into the river Herefordshire, Wye. Algae covered slippy rocks.That was only a half-dunk. ;)

All in winter

:(

Very sobering video. Not as agile as I once was and to be honest I shy away from dodgy looking swims. The scary thing about the video is the bank looked quite safe. A must see video for us all.

It appears he steps on overgrowing vegetation believing that there is solid bank underneath. Could be the close proximity of the un-hooking mat to the edge led him to unconsciously step around it.

Had one or two slips and scary moments down rain soaked banks at Fiskerton on the Trent, fortunately not going in. I now go down a bank crab style with a bank stick in one hand and have a climbing rope and bank peg for very dodgy swims.

I’ve been in afew rivers unintentionally, it’s not a lot of fun. Last time I was lucky as I had @Terry Harman in the next swim down and I couldn’t pull myself with my soaking wet winter suit out the river. The whole bank was just mud and I had nothing substantial to grab hold of to pull myself out.

It’s definitely worth jamming a bank stick in close to the waters edge because I’d of got out on my own if that was the case.

The bugger did laugh after pulling me out at my sorry soaking state so I had to show him who’s boss and bank a nice double shortly afterwards 🤣🤣🤣
That’ll teach him!!!

I always keep a waterproof seat cover and a change of old clothes under the car seat to save myself driving home soaking. Trouble is first time I used the clothes I had to jump up and down to try to pull the pants over my knees - I had put on over a stone since putting the clothes in the car!! But seriously if you have room under a seat its a good idea - just do not eat too much cake before you fall in!!!

We've all gone in at some point and it is a shock.
I did something very similar to this chap and stepped on what I thought was the edge of the bank, only to find it was grass over the edge of the bank! I ended up falling down the bank and on my back (in shallow water luckily) but it was a very cold November night. I just went into 'auto pilot' and packed up quickly then straight back to the car!
I lost my voice for several days after that session, much to the amusement of my son! 😆
What's important to learn from these experiences and to stress to others new to fishing rivers, is that you must take some time to understand what the riverbank is like where you are sat...Is it deep close in?..Is it undercut??
Also if you are fishing into dark then choose an area you are very familiar with, preferably shallow close in.

Very sobering video. Not as agile as I once was and to be honest I shy away from dodgy looking swims. The scary thing about the video is the bank looked quite safe. A must see video for us all.
Two years a go I literally went head first into the Hampshire Avon off flat ground. The swim had wet mud and as I went to put my chair on the edge of the river (to use as a rod rest - I was traveling very light) my feet somehow flew backwards and I went straight in. Luckily the river wasn't in flood and it was a mild day but it was straight home.

Luckily all I lost was my specs and some pride.

Checked my boots afterwards and they were well worn underneath, bought a new pair the next day.

Slipped on the bank last year on a muddy bank on the Swale last year in the summertime and ended up in the river. I know exactly what he meant about cold water shock, luckily it was only waist deep but the panic is unreal.

Back