• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Starting again

Got the Korum 2lb barbel rod a while back. For £45 I can't complain as it can cast heavy leads/feeders and have used it in floodwater conditions and snaggy and tight swims. The white tip is handy for visibility also.

Neil

Both are good rods and, as Graham intimates, excellent value for money.

The 2 is a more versatile rod as it's also great for carp and pike.

Having said that, it does depend on what you're targeting and where. If you're only going for barbel where the average size is not huge in a small to medium sized river, and where the average winter water levels aren't too much of a challenge, then in my personal opinion the 2 is over-gunning it and rather unnecessary, so I would opt for the 1.75 (even then, I would say 1.75 is still too chunky in those circumstances). But if you're talking big wild rivers with big doubles, then go for the 2.

...or get both:p

Neil

Both are good rods and, as Graham intimates, excellent value for money.

The 2 is a more versatile rod as it's also great for carp and pike.

Having said that, it does depend on what you're targeting and where. If you're only going for barbel where the average size is not huge in a small to medium sized river, and where the average winter water levels aren't too much of a challenge, then in my personal opinion the 2 is over-gunning it and rather unnecessary, so I would opt for the 1.75 (even then, I would say 1.75 is still too chunky in those circumstances). But if you're talking big wild rivers with big doubles, then go for the 2.

...or get both:p

River Swale in North Yorkshire which is a free stone rive which can rise several feet in less than 5 mins

Neil,
I fish the Derwent which is similar in size with similar size barbel to target.
I picked up a free spirit 1.5tc rod second hand from the classified section of this site. For 90% of my fishing it is perfect, casting leads to 2oz with ease and landing barbel to almost 10lbs.
I do not think I would buy new again as this site regularly has really good used kit on offer which would be double the price if new.
Mike

Back