• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

SS1600 or Ss2600

Rob Francis

Just a quick one guys,
Just wondering which size would be the best for general barbel fishing?
The 1600 seems to hold a similar amount of line to a Shimano 4000 size but looks to have quite a small handle.
Thanks in advance,
Rob.

Thanks David,
After a bit of Googling I think the 1600 has the same size body but with a smaller spool and the same handle as yours.
A lot if internet pics show the 1300 which has a small handle.
I understand they dont have a modern (infinite) anti reverse, does that cause any problems?
Thanks,
Rob.

Rob, i have a pair of 2600s i use for sea fishing working lures and i have already decided to use them for barbel too, dont let the body size fool you
the 1600s may have different gearings, bearings ect ect which you wont spot by looking at size of the body mate;)
the 2600s are nice reels only downside is theyre a bit flashy with gold on a sunny day

I have used both, go for the 2600 , nothing wrong with the 1600 but the larger spool might come in handy one day.Terrific reels btw.

I don't Realy use the anti reverse rob ! I tend to let the clutch do the work ! You will find that there is a lot of adjustment on the clutch which is great ! And the spool size is spot on Realy !! 2600 is a beast

Back