• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Squeeze ready paste/ground bait

When I make paste I generally use 2 eggs,dynamite halibut pellet ground bait,a.splash of dynamite cheesy garlic bait boost and some garlic salt , if you mix it softer than you want the mix will stiffen up by the time you get too the river

When I make paste I generally use 2 eggs,dynamite halibut pellet ground bait,a.splash of dynamite cheesy garlic bait boost and some garlic salt , if you mix it softer than you want the mix will stiffen up by the time you get too the river
I like the sound of that. But what I seek is the magic ingredient. Something is added which makes the paste/ gb squeeze ready. The gum and wheat germ is a stiffener but requires a liquid to blend. How to do it without liquid is the question. I will try all these suggestions though over the winter. Much more fun than tv.

I like the sound of that. But what I seek is the magic ingredient. Something is added which makes the paste/ gb squeeze ready. The gum and wheat germ is a stiffener but requires a liquid to blend. How to do it without liquid is the question. I will try all these suggestions though over the winter. Much more fun than tv.

You maybe searching for the Holy Grail of bait ingredients
Screenshot 2024-10-12 202048.jpg

The mix ends up pretty much like the dynamite halibut past consistency

Does anyone know what ingredient( s) are used to transform paste/ground bait into squeeze ready?
I have been using proprietary paste for years and normally use different flavour liquids to suit my needs. Together with wheat germ it works well.
Both Fjuka and Spotted Finn offer various squeeze ready products, all of which I have used.
By far the most versatile is Fjuka imho but that contains of course their "magic" ingredient so it is restricted to their flavours. I do know however from trials all this year that some fish in some waters seem to love it, in others, they ignore it.
Just wondered what the S/R element is and whether anyone knows and is prepared to share this info. I stress at nearly 80 I am not planning a new bait venture!

Well worth a research Alec

https://specialingredients.co.uk/

Does anyone know what ingredient( s) are used to transform paste/ground bait into squeeze ready?
I have been using proprietary paste for years and normally use different flavour liquids to suit my needs. Together with wheat germ it works well.
Both Fjuka and Spotted Finn offer various squeeze ready products, all of which I have used.
By far the most versatile is Fjuka imho but that contains of course their "magic" ingredient so it is restricted to their flavours. I do know however from trials all this year that some fish in some waters seem to love it, in others, they ignore it.
Just wondered what the S/R element is and whether anyone knows and is prepared to share this info. I stress at nearly 80 I am not planning a new bait venture!
Hi, im sure I read somewhere to add a little of same liquid as you would if you made boilies

Latest experiment
Trigga boilies, as much Trigga liquid as it would take, hot Chilli powder & Ras El Hanout powder.
A little Xanthan gum kneaded in which has made it rubbery. It was too soft before the gum was added.
Feels and smells very good.
20241015_073611.jpg

I buy paste from DNA baits. It’s the boilie mix, but unboiled and is (I think) around £8 for a kilo which lasts a long time. I’m not sure what ‘squeeze ready’ means, but it’s already stiff enough to use on a hook or as a wrap.

To make it stiffer I’d use something like the insect meal that DNA also sell which is a fine powder so wouldn’t cause it to break up (it’s high protein and a sustainable ingredient compared to fish meal), to make it more pliable I’d mix in a liquid food or spod syrup.

Latest experiment
Trigga boilies, as much Trigga liquid as it would take, hot Chilli powder & Ras El Hanout powder.
A little Xanthan gum kneaded in which has made it rubbery. It was too soft before the gum was added.
Feels and smells very good.
View attachment 32255
Thanks to all who mentioned the x gum. It's not the actual thing which creates squeeze ready but I will experiment more. But as you say Stephen, added to paste mix, it is a revelation. I am trying it with various liquids/ dyes, even with floating, ie cork balls and am confident I am not wasting my time. Great fun too.

Back