• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Squeeze ready paste/ground bait

Alec Hague

Senior Member & Supporter
Does anyone know what ingredient( s) are used to transform paste/ground bait into squeeze ready?
I have been using proprietary paste for years and normally use different flavour liquids to suit my needs. Together with wheat germ it works well.
Both Fjuka and Spotted Finn offer various squeeze ready products, all of which I have used.
By far the most versatile is Fjuka imho but that contains of course their "magic" ingredient so it is restricted to their flavours. I do know however from trials all this year that some fish in some waters seem to love it, in others, they ignore it.
Just wondered what the S/R element is and whether anyone knows and is prepared to share this info. I stress at nearly 80 I am not planning a new bait venture!

Not sure what you mean by “squeeze ready” Alec but I often mix groundbait with eggs to create a paste to wrap boilies, or on its own, when fishing for tench ….dynamite red robin, makes a great paste with egg. Just break egg into a bowl with a little Robin red glug then add groundbait a little at a time mixing until you get right consistency

And horlicks added to damp pellet makes a great squeezable ball

Not sure what you mean by “squeeze ready” Alec but I often mix groundbait with eggs to create a paste to wrap boilies, or on its own, when fishing for tench ….dynamite red robin, makes a great paste with egg. Just break egg into a bowl with a little Robin red glug then add groundbait a little at a time mixing until you get right consistency

And horlicks added to damp pellet makes a great squeezable ball

I will try horlicks, many thanks, but I am sure it's more than that. Fjuka for example creates a wax like coating, like on edam, quite remarkable. Not saying it will stay on for rover fishing but for still waters 3-4 hours easily.

Ah see what you mean…..If trying Horlicks only the full sugar version works and only just dampen the bait. I used it last season with some small pellet balls made with a Nash ball maker so I catapult them further.
Other than that just a little bit of river water to make right consistency should work no? Got a feeling those “squeeze ready” baits might just be a gimmick, but never seen them myself!

I wonder whether you could look into the properties of potato or corn starch. Corn starch has waxy properties. How you would apply it to bait I'm not sure. Just a thought. 🙂

I wonder whether you could look into the properties of potato or corn starch. Corn starch has waxy properties. How you would apply it to bait I'm not sure. Just a thought. 🙂
The texture is intriguing. Coarse but dry and this is the thing. No water needs to be added. Just mix a small quantity in your hand by squeezing. Best way I can describe it is that it has the look and consistency of demmara sugar. That can be compacted together in the hand in the same way .

The texture is intriguing. Coarse but dry and this is the thing. No water needs to be added. Just mix a small quantity in your hand by squeezing. Best way I can describe it is that it has the look and consistency of demmara sugar. That can be compacted together in the hand in the same way .
Interesting. All you can do is try things I guess. Things like horlicks or any other sticky substance need moisture I think. Starch I think needs heat to thicken. A real brain teaser! 🙂

Try this for making up paste could work on pellets
20240926_201455.jpg

Back