• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

spooling line???

Jamie Armitage

I have got some new line and going to put it onto my reels... DO YOU?

Put it into water overnight to soak before spooling it????.
Seen it on a gardner dvd apart from stopping it heating up when putting pressure on the line cant see it doing anything???????

What do you do ????

cheers jamie

I put reel on the rod,line through the but ring, chuck the spool in a bucket of warm water and wind it on!

Line

User the Arbor knot to attach to the spool (google it). Also you have to un wind it the way it was wound on the spool at the factory. You can feel it between your fingers twisting if its going on the wrong way otherwise it tends to spring off your spool.

Brian

As Brian says, make sure it comes off the spool anti clockwise and that way it goes on the reel in the same direction. I never wet mine but I do tie it to something and give it a stretch, which seems to stop it going 'bitty' and keeps it smooth.

I usually put it in a bucket of warm water with a small amount of washing up liquid (helps the line sink),spooling it on making
sure the line comes off the spool anti clockwise.

I put reel on the rod,line through the but ring and reel it in , i was always told from other Anglers washing up liquid makes the line float.......

Washing up liquid helps to sink the line by de-greasing the line and acting as a surfactant breaking the surface tension on the water.
For it to be effective you should re apply it on a regular basis, this is normally achieved by wrapping a bit of foam rubber (sponge) soaked with washing up liquid around the front rest and rubbing the line over it on the retrieve or some anglers carry a little bottle of diluted washing up liquid which they regularly soak the spool with. This is usually done when waggler fishing on lakes where you want the line to sink asap.

When I spool a reel I float the spool in ordinary plain water or run it through a damp cloth to apply a bit of tension as I wind it on, try to avoid generating any heat in the line through friction when doing it.

Being a bit tight with my cash I buy bulk spools and only replace the first 100 yards or so on the spool. I do this when the level of line drops to the point that I can see the knot, normally a couple of times a year.

Last edited:
i was always told from other Anglers washing up liquid makes the line float.......

Not at all,I have been doing this for many years and I can assure you it aids in sinking it.......

Thank you Adrian

I have a large field at the front of my house. I simply walk out my line or braid from a bulk spool to the required distance, cut it, walk back and wind it on under tension, which gets rid of all the twists itself as i wind it in.

Back