• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Split shot advice

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't bought any new split shot for years and am just wondering if there's something that you guys use that doesn't damage the line too much? Is the modern stuff better that the old (but legal) stuff I'm using?

Also, I'm sure I've seen somewhere on social media something that looks like a swan shot or AA that has a tiny eye attached, so you can kind if float ledger with it. Does anyone know what these are called or where to get them please?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,
For my Tench float fishing I use small olivettes on the line held in place with float stops. Enables me to adjust the “hook length” without damaging the line. Use this mainly for the lift method but have used very small olivettes as bulk shot when trotting for Grayling. Many moons ago when I float fished for Carp I used a small 1/8oz /1/4oz “bomb” with a swivel for float ledgering. Again held in place with rubber float stop.
Regards
Bill

Last edited:
I like the ZLT shot which are zinc. I have never had a problem with line damage and easy to reuse. Bigger ones can easily be placed over a thin piece of silicon tube if you want to. I use no6 to SSG.

I'm more likely to use olivettes these days, held with guru line stops. It helps me fish straight through, with no weakness at all. Shots wise I use Stotz. Think they do them from size 8. The lead is so soft and you cane easily move them too.

Olivettes.

I use the ones with rubber strips that lock them by the spike ends.

Just slide up or down as desired.

Also ideal as backstop to sink the line on rivers.

Olivettes are excellent and there’s no finer way to do bulk shotting patterns.
if I need the really small sizes then as Jon F said the Preston stotz range are my favorite too. They just seem a bit softer on the light hook links and you can get away with moving them.
always nip them on a wet line about an inch away from where you want them and slide them down into the desired position and they shouldn’t leave any witness marks on your line.

Olivettes, great for rolling meat too...
I’m not a fan of anything on the line when doing this
I always try and be creative to keep the weight in the bait.
recently I’ve been tying hair rigs with the shot pinched on the hair and pulled into the meat. You get fantastic unhindered presentation
A36CED56-7BD8-4A77-A56E-8C93C6B6519A.jpeg

Olivettes.

I use the ones with rubber strips that lock them by the spike ends.

Just slide up or down as desired.

Also ideal as backstop to sink the line on rivers.

Can you remember who makes them Graham?

What I like is that there is nothing to damage the line, and you can go up or down in gram weights without breaking the line.

Basically you snip off elastic to 1/4 inch x 2. Thread these on your line above hooklink and add weight . Move up and down during the day as required.

Only limiting thing is weights available, where may use others if on 8gr or add shot. But ideal most medium rivers.

Likewise you can use them to pin the line down if ledgering for spooky fish.

Been using them for few years for all my silvers chub and mullet fishing.

Usually use a dropper shot when trotting.

They look great, Graham.
I currently use the line through ones with a couple of stops but these are obviously a hassle to change.
Are those ones not a bit prone to falling off?

Apologies! I am totally ignorant of such matters. I'll delete it from my phone and use yours. All my floats are in shot and not grammes and I want to try olivettes so thanks for the correction.
No worries Ed...
Olivettes in all their Grms are great to work with your chosen float..Combined with a dropper shot or like what I do a 0.2 or 0.4 olly dropper.

Back