• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

split cane rods

Jus re reading this thread I thought I should highlight another disadvantage of fishing with cane rods or indeed any traditional tackle . No matter how remote the venue, as soon as you assemble your Lucky Strike and strap on your Ambidex or your Speedia , I can guarantee you that an old boy will pop up out of nowhere and exclaim ' I use to have one of those !' Said old timer will then sky line you and spend 20 mins regaling you with fishing tales while his dog is nosing about in your tackle bag nicking your sandwiches / bait . He will then amble off leaving you to stare vacantly in to your now fishless swim :D

I've met him too, the same bloke who when you advise that you're presently blanking looks at you in disgust and tells you about the bloke here yesterday who was bagging up.

........but just occasionally someones comes up and says, 'I've got one of those in my wardrobe, would you be interested?' I acquired a Sharpe's Avon and a James Mk4 carp like that, very cheaply.
When that happens I forgive the dog a lick of my boilies!

Back