• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Split cane rod

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
I have a 2 x piece 10' Richard Walker Mk IV split cane rod by B James and Co. It would be nice to use it for barbel fishing but would it cope with a barbel (if I was lucky enough to catch one) or would it break? Or is it just a "collector's piece" destined to adorne a wall? Do these rods have any value or are they just a curiosity ?
20230221_111910.jpg
20230221_111956.jpg

It could be seriously valuable.

There were all sorts of different models of the BJ rods - some are very scarce, others not so much. Then there is general condition, has it been re-built etc etc.

If you are thinking of getting it valued, you need to find somebody who knows the little details……

I have 3 ,and have had Barbs to 13 lbs on them , they are just about the only rods I use these days, most of my carbon is feeling quite lonely really.

680E8481-09CB-4C3A-AE79-66B1B1EEEFCF.jpeg

14 th Oct 2022. Taken on a flooded river Wharfe as it was running off .

As far as your rod goes Paul, before using it you should check the cane for delamination, you may see hairline cracks down the blank where the cane was glued together, IF you do find any it is not a problem as it can be repaired easily enough. I fixed a delaminated tip section on a Mk 1V a couple of years ago and it is out there doing what it does best, landing Barbel. Also, check the butt and tip rings for cracks or chips, the older lined rings can be quite fragile and can have a hairline chip that will shred your line in an instant… and.... dont use braid, it will wear through the rings in no time .
Enjoy it , or maybe you would want to move it on ? As said they can be worth quite a lot if in good condition .

David.

Hi Chaps, found this thread & it got my mind thinking. I have an old MK 4 B James split cane rod I bought in 1963 at a tackle shop in Bexley in London. I used to use it on the Hampshire Avon & Dorset Stour in the 1960 Barbel fishing. That was the days when Hempseed ruled. Bait droppers full of Hempseed into a swim then fish it 30 min later with 2 grains on the hook. No pellets & boilies in those days. Us men were men & women were glad of us. Joking apart the top section started to split a little so it got put away. Married & a family so the fishing went onto the back burner for years & years. After many moves the rod bag fell apart & the top finally went in two. Those rods were a thing of joy to own, beautiful whippings throughout with deep ruby red agate rod rings. I moved again 6 years ago returning from Ireland after 17 years back to UK. Sorting out I came across what remained of that rod. The bottom section as it always was except that the aluminium ferrel at the but was corroded. I will have to check but I think the two halves of the top joint were there as well. Since coming back I have been hit with ill health but have managed to do some Barbel fishing again after 50 years on the Severn. I had thought of getting it back into action again with either a carbon top made for it or see if I could get it back to its former glory. I could not find anyone who could do it for me at that time so its back in the tackle room until I read this thread today. I'm now 78 so time is not my friend. Is there anyone out there who knows of a good rod maker that undertakes this sort of repair? if so please let me know. I will sort it out tomorrow & post some pictures. many thanks Robbie.

Post some pictures Robin and lets see how bad a condition its in . As to original posting .A B James MK1V Carp rod is more than capable for Barbel fishing , as long its in good condition, the Avon version is also OK for Barbel as long as you are not in a hit and hold / snaggy swim . Looking at the Photos yours looks to be an ''middle'' period version , the late ones said made in England on the transfer , the very early ones said made in Ealing , middle period had the London notation on the transfer . As to value ,mint , with original bag , good transfers and undamaged original whippings and original rings ,tight ferrules , straight with no sets /delamination upward of £300 . Originality is everything in the world of cane rods . Use it and enjoy they are wonderful well made rods . The only word of caution would be I wouldn't attempt to cast for than 2oz weight with the MK1V and its not really up to fishing in heavy flood conditions , other than that get a bend in it ! Tight Lines

Hi Chaps, found this thread & it got my mind thinking. I have an old MK 4 B James split cane rod I bought in 1963 at a tackle shop in Bexley in London. I used to use it on the Hampshire Avon & Dorset Stour in the 1960 Barbel fishing. That was the days when Hempseed ruled. Bait droppers full of Hempseed into a swim then fish it 30 min later with 2 grains on the hook. No pellets & boilies in those days. Us men were men & women were glad of us. Joking apart the top section started to split a little so it got put away. Married & a family so the fishing went onto the back burner for years & years. After many moves the rod bag fell apart & the top finally went in two. Those rods were a thing of joy to own, beautiful whippings throughout with deep ruby red agate rod rings. I moved again 6 years ago returning from Ireland after 17 years back to UK. Sorting out I came across what remained of that rod. The bottom section as it always was except that the aluminium ferrel at the but was corroded. I will have to check but I think the two halves of the top joint were there as well. Since coming back I have been hit with ill health but have managed to do some Barbel fishing again after 50 years on the Severn. I had thought of getting it back into action again with either a carbon top made for it or see if I could get it back to its former glory. I could not find anyone who could do it for me at that time so its back in the tackle room until I read this thread today. I'm now 78 so time is not my friend. Is there anyone out there who knows of a good rod maker that undertakes this sort of repair? if so please let me know. I will sort it out tomorrow & post some pictures. many thanks Robbie.

Robin I would not go down the road of replacing the damaged top section with anything other than cane , it would ruin the rods action and massively de value it . As I said in earlier post, put some pictures up and lets see how badly damaged it is . I restore cane rods and may be able to help you as long as its not too far gone and beyond economical repair

Last edited:
I have 3 ,and have had Barbs to 13 lbs on them , they are just about the only rods I use these days, most of my carbon is feeling quite lonely really.

View attachment 22742

14 th Oct 2022. Taken on a flooded river Wharfe as it was running off .

As far as your rod goes Paul, before using it you should check the cane for delamination, you may see hairline cracks down the blank where the cane was glued together, IF you do find any it is not a problem as it can be repaired easily enough. I fixed a delaminated tip section on a Mk 1V a couple of years ago and it is out there doing what it does best, landing Barbel. Also, check the butt and tip rings for cracks or chips, the older lined rings can be quite fragile and can have a hairline chip that will shred your line in an instant… and.... dont use braid, it will wear through the rings in no time .
Enjoy it , or maybe you would want to move it on ? As said they can be worth quite a lot if in good condition .

David.
Very good advice from David , a man who knows ....

I started my barbel fishing back in the 60's, initially with a cheap rod comprising whole cane butt and middle and a fibre glass top section. I was lucky enough to live just around the corner from a shop called Eggintons, myself and my friend both commissioned built cane Avon rods from the Egginton brothers and enjoyed some great times catching barbel from the river Mole on them. I also self built a pair of MkIV carp rods on sections supplied from Walkers of Hythe and caught many carp and barbel using them, sadly all those rods are gone now, the Egginton rod was stolen from my car back in the 70's and my MkIV's got broken. The action of a well built cane rod is totally different to modern rods, their ability to stop fish in their tracks is amazing, even when bent so far as to almost have the butt pointing at the fish! Cherish that rod, and use it, you'll get a lot of pleasure from it.

Robin, I can heartily recommend Mike as a top class cane rod builder, I have seen his work and it is some of the best around, should anybody wish to have a split cane rod “fettled” then Mike is the man to do it .

I have stepped back a little from rod building myself as we are planning to move house and atm have no idea what facilities there will be at the new place, or indeed where the new place will be.

David.

Robin, I can heartily recommend Mike as a top class cane rod builder, I have seen his work and it is some of the best around, should anybody wish to have a split cane rod “fettled” then Mike is the man to do it .

I have stepped back a little from rod building myself as we are planning to move house and atm have no idea what facilities there will be at the new place, or indeed where the new place will be.

David.
Thanks for your kind words David . I do not build cane rods from scratch , I don't have the requisite facilities/equipment , most of my work is refurbishing rods,fitting new rings ,re whipping and re varnishing ,and / or repairing rods with delamination , sets in the cane , worn out ferrules , cork handled damaged etc . As others have said cane rods are an absolute joy to use and are very capable tools to play large fish in the right circumstances . They are also great conversation starters ,regularly people come up to me saying '' my dad used to have one of those '' , or '' they look much nicer than modern rods '' I regularly see a chap who walks his dog on a local river he now simply hails me as Jack Hargreaves or Dick Walker ! The only limitations of cane rods are that compared to modern carbon or even fibreglass rods they are relatively heavy , they are not suited to casting heavy leads , and they require looking after properly , i.e.wiping down and drying after use , storing in a place that isn't damp , hot or subject to large temperature fluctuations. Cane does not take kindly to being stored in these sort of conditions . It never ceases to amaze me the superb build quality of some of the top name cane rods like Hardy and B James , even the hugely mass produced rods by Allcocks , Marco and Edgar Sealey are lovely bits of kit and with a little TLC are great rods . I recently re furbished a 70 year old 9ft 6 inch Hardy Salmon spinning rod , simply giving it a strip down , re whip and re varnish , the cane was still arrow straight and steely , on its first outing it landed a 10lb + Barbel ,no problem at all , they somehow have more soul than modern carbon rods and you feel more connected when playing a fish with them

Could be worse David :) .I love reading Bernard Venables Mr Crabtree book , old Crabtree never had that pipe out of his mouth , I reckon he puffed away at it to keep the midges at bay . The lad Peter always does as he's told , and never questions his dads wisdom and methods. I wonder what Mr C would make of todays Barbel fishing scene with the rod pods and bite alarms? Its a long way from cutting a branch for a rod rest and scouring your lobworms in moss that's for sure . Whenever I am on a river and I find an eddy , I always think of Crabtree he was a big fan of fishing them maintaining that's where all the big uns were , and he was usually right , Strike Peter ! !

Last edited:
What a great thread, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading David and Mike’s reply’s. I envy you chaps your skills. I’ve never owned or used split cane rods, I’m a heavy handed cuss and would always be frightened of putting a set in one. Like Steve I started my fishing in the 60’s and one of my first rods was a three piece rod with whole cane bottom and middle with the tip section being solid fibre glass, that’s as near as I’ve been to cane. A friend from school days and I used to float fish for carp (up to 14lb or so) back in the the 70’s and he acquired a Davenport & Fordham split cane Avon which he wanted to catch a carp on, he caught a couple of low doubles on it one afternoon and it went back in it’s bag and I don’t think it’s been out since! The lasting memory I have was the “alarming “ curve the rod took up when playing a fish and the utter satisfaction that Clive had in catching on the rod.

Robin, Tackle Shop in Bexley. Would that have been Norman Toye at the clock tower in Bexleyheath ? I used to haunt them as a kid drooling over the rods and reels.

Last edited:
Well after a day yesterday of getting knackered by the Grandchildren I today searched the tackle shack & found the MK1V. To my surprise it was still in it's original if somewhat tatty B James brown rod bag. Even better when I got it out all the pieces were ther with it. Looking at the amount of whippings & the closeness of them I think it is a MK 1V Carp rod "Richard Walker". The butt section is all in tact except for the end ferrel which has all but gone. The original round rubber stop is still there. Even better the two top pieces are fully in tact that made up the top section but in two halves. Think the top eye may have been changed to one that takes a screw in swing tip. Well the rods had to be multi usable in those day we could not afford a rod for each situation. I have taken some photos to attach so you can see the condition & they are straight out of the rod bag, no cleaning or polishing. It's remarkable the rod is 60 years old & just a joy to look at. Think it was a weeks apprentice wages or more when I bought it but quality lasts. It's criminal not to use it again if possible. I still have the Michell's I use to use & a couple of centre pin reels. An Alcocks Model Perfect & a Tudex that were used for Tench fishing.
Thank you guys for all the help & advice you have given, looks like Mike you could be the man to assess what you see. If you need more close up's no problem. Thanks again, Robbie.

Attachments

• BFB2AFD9-63A6-45E2-84AC-6939295B1C94.jpeg
    BFB2AFD9-63A6-45E2-84AC-6939295B1C94.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 33854CBB-D123-4152-B6E2-D1D98DDB71FC.jpeg
    33854CBB-D123-4152-B6E2-D1D98DDB71FC.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 92390236-3531-4092-B9FC-1D4CCC77C0C7.jpeg
    92390236-3531-4092-B9FC-1D4CCC77C0C7.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 313BFF8F-C4AE-486A-9054-615DA8F4DF0B.jpeg
    313BFF8F-C4AE-486A-9054-615DA8F4DF0B.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 03C219CC-BF85-481E-95DF-2301C1B75DF0.jpeg
    03C219CC-BF85-481E-95DF-2301C1B75DF0.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 126
When I started fishing cane rods were the norm, them and glass of course and often a mixture of glass and cane. Floppy , looks nice when new but with carbon came a material that transformed rods to a wonderful robust responsive, light efficient tool, something cane never was for longer rods.
However for me the MK 4 Avon is a thing of beauty and because of its shorter length cane was a good material.
The classic varnish finish maroon whipping and agate rings complimented the whole look into being a classic, it screams ' go fishing '.
I have a 60s kit version that was popular back then, it was built by my late Uncle that passed to me. It really is a a lovely rod.

What a great thread, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading David and Mike’s reply’s. I envy you chaps your skills. I’ve never owned or used split cane rods, I’m a heavy handed cuss and would always be frightened of putting a set in one. Like Steve I started my fishing in the 60’s and one of my first rods was a three piece rod with whole cane bottom and middle with the tip section being solid fibre glass, that’s as near as I’ve been to cane. A friend from school days and I used to float fish for carp (up to 14lb or so) back in the the 70’s and he acquired a Davenport & Fordham split cane Avon which he wanted to catch a carp on, he caught a couple of low doubles on it one afternoon and it went back in it’s bag and I don’t think it’s been out since! The lasting memory I have was the “alarming “ curve the rod took up when playing a fish and the utter satisfaction that Clive had in catching on the rod.

Robin, Tackle Shop in Bexley. Would that have been Norman Toye at the clock tower in Bexleyheath ? I used to haunt them as a kid drooling over the rods and reels.
That name do's ring a bell. I only went there for the rod once as he had one in stock. I'm a Holborn boy myself so a true city cockney. Only later in around 1958 did we move out to East Dulwich so not a million miles away from Bexley. After living in Holborn moving to Dulwich we thought we had move into the country. Houses had gardens. As twelve year olds we fished the River Lea at Enfield Lock. I would get up at 4.30 & cycle from Holborn to my school pals at Manor house then we both in to Enfield quite a cycle. When we moved to Dulwich I had to cycle across London as well before I got to him. Fish until dark & a long cycle trip home. We would collect our worms off peoples lawns with a torch while they were watching TV on a Saturday night ready for our Sunday trip. Half a pint of maggots between us both in a small tin with holes punched in it. Boy we were almost professionals. Cheers Robbie.

Hi again Robin, the damage to the tip section of your rod is imo terminal, you will need a new one . I have seen rods with similar clean breaks “ repaired “ by joining the two parts with a ferrule , or creating a splice between the two sections, , but it will completely change the rods action , in the case of the splice shorten the tip, and for myself it would just be time wasted .
I think it would probably be very difficult to find a matching tip section to replace the broken one, unless you commisioned one from a split cane rod maker ,who had access to the correct formers , but who knows there may be one somewhere waiting for you .
Apart from that, the rubber button on the butt can be easily replaced, and from a look at the photos the whippings look pretty good and the Logo is intact .
So it would be dependent upon sourcing a new tip and having it rebuilt , maybe with the low bridge rings from your broken tip section , or a good similar or better still original used one….hens teeth come to mind.

As a final note, if you think your rod needs a bit of TLC, well it could be worse.

1BD43B5A-EB90-42FD-839D-DEA56D8356A8.jpeg

A friend took a tumble down the steep banks of the river Wye and landed on his rod.
It would not have been so bad if I had not spent a good bit of time completely rebuilding it for him , it was only its second time out since the rebuild.

David

Back