• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spliced tipped float rods.

Spliced tips for river float fishing

• Total voters
I disagree with nearly all of that, It doesn’t work like you describe at all.

If your trotting a top n bottom float in most situations your holding it back and reducing its pace in order to kick the bait out infront and create a more natural speed to what the current is like at the bottom.

This means you have a relatively tight line to your float and in lot of situations if you can keep the line very direct to the float you feel the bite through the rod as the float is rammed under. All you need is to pull that hook afew mm’s and it’s in.
A short sharp whip of the rod tip is just as effective, trust me if I was losing or missing fish because of this i wouldn’t continue

Id be up for testing this with any doubters by letting them hold the hook at 60 yards and seeing just for themselves how little pressure is needed from me holding the other end and waiting for the “ow ow ow ow “
I’m not expecting many volunteers 🤣

If your line is performing large S shapes down the river then yes all your going to do is pick up the slack on the strike and perform quite poorly at hitting home.

If I’m using a spliced tip rod I will whip that tip back to hit fish. It’s difficult to describe but you kind of preload the tip and whip it back with your wrist. My forearm stays straight. and I’ll do it faster than an across the body sweep with a hollow tip rod

With as much line off the water as possible and a reduced pace float, it’s waaaaaaaaay more than enough force to drive hooks from as far as my eyes will let me see a float.

Mmm, you see I try to avoid fishing my line too tight to the float. By the time you feel the little tug at the rod end many a fish will have already spat out the bait having felt the tight line to the float.
That's another reason people think they have bumped fish off, they just haven't hooked the fish properly.
All the talk of bumping fish off because the rod is too harsh is nonsense really....imo. The reason I say that is because, if a fish is hooked propperly you could strike hard enough to drag it up and out of the water without the hook coming free.
More often than not I have to fish 20 to 30yds across the flow and it's quite impossible to fish a tight line direct to the float as the float would be pulled off line and back across the flow. To stop this from happening I use severl little tricks, if the wind is upstream that is handy to control the float across the flow. I can't explaine how in writing though.

Very rarely do I fish how you describe, holding back so my bait rises up in the water. I hold back most of the time, but my bait is usually dragging bottom and i'm holding back to allow a bow from the float to the bait so the bait is level pegging with the float as they move down the river. That method also stops your float from being dragged under. You might call it controlled dragging bottom lol.

Regarding striking faster with a spliced rod, I don't think so. To my way of thinking a hollow tipped rod which has the same kind of stiffness in the lower and mid sections it will have a faster strike. The reason I say that is because the hollow tip will not fold over as easy as a spliced tip so has to be faster....imo.
I have found this to be right in practice also, so not just an opinion in my head.

There is no doubt that you can catch decent sized fish with a spliced tipped rod, I have caught barbel by design using a browning sphere spliced rod and it was adequate, but not as nice to use to catch them as my spere waggler rods.
I'd much prefer to catch them on the drennan acolyte plus or even better still, the specimen accy float rod.

All the above is my own findings and opinions using my style of trotting, i'm not trying to tell anyone how to fish...you do what you do 😉.

As you know on the back end of last year I took my 14ft modified spliced tip avenger rod to the river when it was carrying water only to have 2 unheard of red letter days of 54 and 29 large chub to over 6lb
Hit it obviously just right as sessions like that come round once in an eclipse.

With the additional water on my bite zone was right at the bottom of the swim a good 60 yards down.

Lost 1 in a snag and dropped another 2. The rest went in the net.

Spliced tips hit as hard and certainly faster than hollow tips it’s just technique.
If there was a problem with them i would know about it by now.
The 29 I had the following day was on my 15’6 sphere.

As you know on the back end of last year I took my 14ft modified spliced tip avenger rod to the river when it was carrying water only to have 2 unheard of red letter days of 54 and 29 large chub to over 6lb
Hit it obviously just right as sessions like that come round once in an eclipse.

With the additional water on my bite zone was right at the bottom of the swim a good 60 yards down.

Lost 1 in a snag and dropped another 2. The rest went in the net.

Spliced tips hit as hard and certainly faster than hollow tips it’s just technique.
If there was a problem with them i would know about it by now.
The 29 I had the following day was on my 15’6 sphere.

We'll, i'll just have to bow to your superiour knowladge.....lucky i've got a couple of spliced rods 😉🤣👍.

Anyone know about these . Spliced tip number

Attachments

• IMG_2832.jpeg
    IMG_2832.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2831.jpeg
    IMG_2831.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
We'll, i'll just have to bow to your superiour knowladge.....lucky i've got a couple of spliced rods 😉🤣👍.
I wouldn’t say superior at all Ian. Point I was making was if they were a hindrance, it’s sessions like that where flaws in the tackle get found out

I wouldn’t say superior at all Ian. Point I was making was if they were a hindrance, it’s sessions like that where flaws in the tackle get found out

In all honesty i've had lots of red letter sessions when fishing for chub and barbel using a number of different rods. I remember my first outing whilst using the first 13 6 sphere I got, I had a number of chub, but this was first fish I caught on the day...

So obviously they catch fish ok, but for me a spliced tip rod is not as good to use for trotting (especially not as good when fishing at range) as a good hollow tip.
It's nice to have the option of using one though if and when I get the urge.

The best stick float rod I had was Daiwas Amorphous Tournament 13 ft 2 inch spliced tip. Closely followed by The Stick float Special. I have 2 Shaky Mach 2 Borons, which I'm more than happy with. Don't lose why spliced tip rods became popular, quick, fast and tip a tinned for close work with fast biting mid water fish. Hollow tips more suited to larger weighted floats, top and bottom and wagglers at range, with a tip to middle action.

Hello Richard , I believe so . I’ll send you photos of the top section/ splice .
It’s odd because I can’t find out any info about the rod .
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2840.jpeg
    IMG_2840.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2839.jpeg
    IMG_2839.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 47
I don’t think that’s original Craig. A lot of manufacturers do use whipping points to place a spliced tip but that’s the first I’ve ever seen where the hollow section joining the tip section is completely exposed. The whipping would normally be either taken infront of the guide to cover the joint or the guide would be placed on the tip itself and the whipping extended to cover the joint.

I don’t think that’s original Craig. A lot of manufacturers do use whipping points to place a spliced tip but that’s the first I’ve ever seen where the hollow section joining the tip section is completely exposed. The whipping would normally be either taken infront of the guide to cover the joint or the guide would be placed on the tip itself and the whipping extended to cover the joint.
That makes sense Richard . Thanks .
I can’t find any info on a super float , which is odd .

That makes sense Richard . Thanks .
I can’t find any info on a super float , which is odd .
I don’t know it either and I’m only speculating based on spliced tips I’ve seen, built myself and own.
The joint is always covered with a whipping from my experience.
Now maybe Preston did it differently 🤷🏻
I’d guess it’s an adaptation but I don’t know for sure. Either way it doesn’t look a bad job at all.

The dearth of spliced tip rods has been because, as previously mentioned, the popularity of commercial lakes and the need for rods that can land bigger fish, but also because of the rise in use of carbon whips. Instead of running a stick float down the edge an 8m carbon whip to hand can hit those dace and bleak bites.

The dearth of spliced tip rods has been because, as previously mentioned, the popularity of commercial lakes and the need for rods that can land bigger fish, but also because of the rise in use of carbon whips. Instead of running a stick float down the edge an 8m carbon whip to hand can hit those dace and bleak bites.

The browning sphere spliced rods were designed to handle larger fish.

The alertons were no bit bashing rods either.

I tend to agree. However, people still talk about them as if they are. I sold mine, partly because of the screw up reel seat and partly due to them being unsuited to the bulk of my fishing (grayling in fast, shallow, water). I found them to be better suited to the deeper steady water of the Trent, even for smaller fish.

I really don't know! I've been trotting a float down the river for around 60 years and old enough to remember the transition from glass to carbon. It took me an age to realise that the early carbons were losing me fish (typically snapped hooklinks) and costing me money in matches. Those new fangled "lightweight" rods were horribly fierce on the strike (can't have been me could it?). I even went back to my trusty ABU MKV & MKVI. I reckoned I was scarred for life!

I was (still am) limited in my understanding of the intricacies of rod building technicalities. Even more so nowadays, I really don't mind what rod I'm using as long as I'm confident it's fit for purpose for the way I fish. That is typically trotting for big Stour/Avon chub (and the occasional barbel) and/or big Frome grayling (and the occasional silver tourist).

That probably explains why I have "a few" trotting rods, most of which I try to use as often as possible.

Back