• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spilt cane rods

Anthony Pearson

I picked up a nice looking split cane rod the other day but the makers label was worn away. Are there any ways of determining its provenance?

(I'll put a photograph on later today).

if you can give a little more info on the rod, i may be able to give you an idea. length, no. of sections, style of guides and handle type will all help, although a picture will speak a thousand words. ryan

Here's a few photos:

DSC04332e.jpg

DSC04333e.jpg

DSC04328e.jpg

DSC04331e.jpg

DSC04329e.jpg

It's three piece and about eleven feet in length.

Last edited:
Anthony, I am currently restoring a rod made by a company called precision rods of Redditch. Originally it was whipped in the same yellow and black jasper thread that yours has been done in. It also had similar intermediates in dark claret or black. It seems to have been a common colour scheme for Precision rods and I have seen other pictures of their rods done in the same combination. The ferruls are almost the same type too. Take a picture of any shadows near the handle as the shape of these is a dead give away. Precisions logo was shield shape.
You might get more help if you put some pictures up on the soon to be closing down Purepiscator site. If you are at all interested in cane then it's the only uk site that's worth contributing too and it's a real Shame that it's closing down at the end of the month. However, there are moves afoot to get a new site up and running for all us current users.

Last edited:
Back