• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

SPEEDY REEL REPAIR

Brian Willson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi Guys,
This has got to be the most fastest reel repair that I know.
It all started when I met up with Dai Gribble on Throop, he was using a Preston Centris NT 420 reel, I must say that I was impressed with it so much that I went and bought one, after putting it through its paces I decided to buy another one, this I had for over a year when it developed a slight problem, seeing as the warranty had run out I phoned Andy at Preston Innovations and he asked me where i bought it, Poindestres at Southampton, he told me to take it back to the shop so it can be returned to Prestons, this I did on Wednesday 30th September in the afternoon, then on Thursday 1st of October I had a phone call from Andy at Preston in Shropshire saying that he had fixed the reel and was sending it back to Poindestres.
On Friday, (today) I had a call from Poindestres at midday saying my reel was in ready to be picked up.
So another trip to Southampton from my home at Throop, picked up the reel and returned home and tried out the reel on the river, perfect job done.
When I spoke to Poindestres and Preston they informed me that this was the very first problem that they have had on this reel, to be honest i felt a bit guilty but also pleased that the problem was solved.
I now have three of these reels, I use them for trotting on the river that's when we have a bit more water and the weed has gone.
What an absolute great service from both companies, very well done.
Brian.
PS......the problem was a loose screw inside the main case, it caused the retrieve to be very slightly stiff.

Great stuff, Brian. Nice when you get decent customer service these days! I know they were only the middle men in your situation, but I ordered some bits from the Poindestres website back in early June. Ordered on a Saturday early evening, got a phone call as I was making Sunday dinner to say a couple of the items were out of stock, offered replacements for both (one was a significant upgrade at no extra cost) and the lot was delivered Monday afternoon. The lead time for Angling Direct/Total Fishing Tackle deliveries was 10+ days at the time... They’re my go to for online bits and bobs now. Good that they’re local-ish to my fishing area too.

It's a great shop and I've been in there a few times when visiting my sister in Southampton. Was there close to Christmas one year and I was amazed how many wives and mothers were in there buying gift vouchers for Christmas presents. Not seen the same anywhere else.

I had never heard of that tackle shop, just googled it and found out it’s literally a stones throw from where I’d been working today. 🙄

Not wanting to 'black cat'

Whilst no retailer involved, last week I phoned Masterline/Ryobi (closing down at the moment apparently) on Tuesday 22nd September about having a service and repair to my Ray Walton Mk2 Rolling pin, I spoke to a chap called Chris Miles and he told me to send it back to them and he would make sure it was repaired/serviced. I sent the reel by RM Special Delivery on the Tuesday afternoon, on Wednesday evening I received an email from Chris with the cost of repair/service and return postage. I paid this by Bank Transfer on the Wednesday evening. The reel was posted back to me on Thursday 24th September by RM Special Delivery and I received it at 8.40am on Friday 25th September.

I thought the above was amazingly good. three days including return postage is way above what I would have expected.

Just for interest, Chris Miles is taking over the JW Young and Sons side of the business, so it looks like there will be options for repair/service going forward.

Back