• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

speedia servicing/repairs

Chris Thomson

Hi, anyone know of anyone reputable who does the above, tried gary mills but he is rammoed with work and cant do anything till next year, got a speedia that needs a look at and wondered if any one else does repairs/servicing, cheers

what exactly is wrong with it chris as there is nothing much to them, I use speedia's all the time and carry out my own servicing.

Its got excessive end float and rubs a bit when you spin it with the handles pointing upwards, probably needs a longer grub screw to take up the excess play and get it running without the play/rubbing

is the current grub screw missing? as I cant see it being worn, have you tried to strip it down yourself and give it a good oil? all speedias have a bit of float on them so if it isnt great then wouldnt worry to much about that but the rubbing sounds as if the pin could be off centre or worn

The grub screws intact but ive tried tightenining it but its as far as it will go, cleaned and lightly oiled it, still plenty of play, prob a new longer grub screw would do the job, any ideas?

The grub screws intact but ive tried tightenining it but its as far as it will go, cleaned and lightly oiled it, still plenty of play, prob a new longer grub screw would do the job, any ideas?

I doubt you will get a longer screw chris unless you strip it from another reel, but from what your saying I dont think its the screw at fault, I would look more closely at the pin itself

Drop it into Ringwood tackle. Rich will pass it onto a fella called John Baldwin, he'll sort it, he's a genius, centre pin engineer extroardinaire !

John

Back