• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

speedia pawl query

Chris Thomson

Hi, anyone know if the ratchet pawl can be reversed as mine seems to be stiffer when reeling in than when giving line ssy on a take, i take it if they were set up for right hand use rather than left, cheersfor any advice

On the speedias I have the pawl is either way so I would say yes you can turn the pawl, but in doing so to get it out you might weaken the spring (which could be the problem). The pawl may be a bit worn or the spring may need to be a bit stronger or replaced. You can fudge tightening the spring using a match stick end or bit of rubber between where the spring meets the inner rim. In an ideal world get Garry Mills to have a look.

Good luck.

P.S. Nice thing about speedias is the rachet is easy to turn off and the only time I use it is when the rod is in the rest. Good fun to fiddle with though.

Cheers

if you remove the pawl and flip it over ,it will work but its a compromise and wont be as strong .the spring will be not be weakened its ok .its down to the angle and direction of the leading edge of the pawl ( the pointy bit ) and the shape of the rear edge thats in contact with the spring .

you can make a new one ,if you have the time and tools etc ,using the old one as template but with the tooth/leading edge reversed

Back