• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Speedia Centrepin

If cleaned properly and lubricated (I use watch oil with a scraping of pencil graphite) it could run very well.
My old one (which is now worn out) would run for 1min 40secs, my new one (probably as old but not so used) now spins for 1min 15secs.

Not as long as my Okuma’s or Trentman which both do well over 2mins, even so good enough to fish with.

I know a lot of people on here swear by the old central spindle centre pins but for trotting you simply cannot beat those reels with twin bearings, they constantly need slowing down as they can over run in an instant but for the sake of presentation the twin bearing reels properly maintained will consistently out fish a “proper†centre pin reel.

After a good long chat with Gary this morning he has advised that the speedia is not ideal for what I'm after (fishing lightish stick floats 6x4 etc) for roach. I have decided I might aswell have the service/spindle replacement done anyway as I'm sure I'll find a use for the Speedia at some point. Can anyone recommend a decent sub £150 centrepin for fishing for roach/dace with lightish floats? Obviously the big criteria is for the line to peel off the reel very easily without a heavy float.

Thanks

Gareth

Both the Rapidex and the Trudex from Young are small reels that will start spinning easily. I use one for trotting roach and grayling with small floats.

The Rapidex was mentioned in here yesterday...

After a good long chat with Gary this morning he has advised that the speedia is not ideal for what I'm after (fishing lightish stick floats 6x4 etc) for roach. I have decided I might aswell have the service/spindle replacement done anyway as I'm sure I'll find a use for the Speedia at some point. Can anyone recommend a decent sub £150 centrepin for fishing for roach/dace with lightish floats? Obviously the big criteria is for the line to peel off the reel very easily without a heavy float.

Thanks

Gareth

this is the reel i use in ultra light floats and slow water ,as line peels of with ease ,these are bespoke built .not mass-produced

Reels - Anglers Net Centrepin Reel - Cheap Fishing Tackle - British Centrepin Reel For Sale

not sure if they're still available .but theres only one way to find out.

Can anyone recommend a decent sub £150 centrepin for fishing for roach/dace with lightish floats? Obviously the big criteria is for the line to peel off the reel very easily without a heavy float.

Hi Gareth

The Fred Crouch Jet or Truepin Trotter c'pins should be ideal for you, either in 3.3/4" OR 4.1/2"

see BFW review here for the 3.3/4" version

For details of the revised Fred Crouch range see BFW thread here, for full(er) details follow the link in the post.

paul4

Thanks gents, both look good. Must admit I do like the look of the Anglers Net reel,it says there's 7 available so might be making an order!

just in case the info on the AN pin is out of date ,i can agree with paul on the true trotter as a excellent choice as i have both a 3¾" and a 4½" narrow drum true trotters .and i find these very good reel better in fact than the jet (match) aerials from Fred crouch & co .and i've half a mind too get a wide spool 4½" true trotter myself .build quality is excellent ,they've a side lever to operate the ratchet (very usufull as it allows single handed operation) and are light enough to hold all day .you would have too allow for the bushing to wear in a bit ,before it become really smooth running ,they're pretty much free running strait out the box ,but will get even better with time used.

and now they come in maroon ,i'll be buying another one for christmas :cool:

Last edited:
As Keith has already said.......don't discount the Okumas.
I've got an Aventa Pro which is spot on for the use described.

Steve - yes, I like the look of the Aventas (though I currently use Jets for legering, and highly recommend them). What's the difference, apart from the colour, between the Aventa and Aventa Pro?

Hi Rich,
i'm not certain but i think the pro has 2 bearings as opposed to 1 on the standard aventa. Sometimes you can find them quite cheaply, think i paid about £70 for mine.....bargain.

Steve - yes, I like the look of the Aventas (though I currently use Jets for legering, and highly recommend them). What's the difference, apart from the colour, between the Aventa and Aventa Pro?

I have an Aventa Pro, and very good it is too. My understanding was that the Aventa was a "true pin", ie. no bearings.

paul4

Back