• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Specimen barbel size

Terry If I'm correct the swim in the photo is on the South Bank just upstream of where the Moors river enters on the opposite bank and just upstream of you is the high bank and style, leading to nettled beds/long meadow and then Hurn Court bridge? If it is I fished it in 81/82/83 and caught quite a few barbel the biggest around the size of the one your holding.
100% correct Greg...bang on. One of my fave bits. 👍👍👍

Back in the day this was a specimen Barbel for me. Throop, June 16th, first day of the season 1973 5lbs 15oz. Trying to follow in the footsteps of my heroes, Walker, Wheat, Taylor and Stone. Caught on the South/Bournemouth bank a couple of hundred yards upstream of School Bridge in the 'Big Tree' (now long gone) swim.
Scan.jpg

Back in the day this was a specimen Barbel for me. Throop, June 16th, first day of the season 1973 5lbs 15oz. Trying to follow in the footsteps of my heroes, Walker, Wheat, Taylor and Stone. Caught on the South/Bournemouth bank a couple of hundred yards upstream of School Bridge in the 'Big Tree' (now long gone) swim.View attachment 9092
In those days a floppy hat was an absolute necessity ... and I still don't fish without one 🤭 🎣

Back