• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Special Processed American Meat

Yes, when I forgot my sandwich box and was miles from anywhere and starving....ate it straight out of the can, absolutely vile !!

Screenshot_20240320_145135_Gallery.jpg

Spam is an abbreviation for: Special Processed American Meat.
It is a simple shortening of “spiced ham” or “shoulders of pork and ham.
Spam only contains six ingredients: pork with ham meat added (that counts as one), salt, water, potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite.
To make spam, the ground-up pork and ham are mixed with the other ingredients for 20 minutes.
When the mixture reaches the correct temperature, it is put into the cans, which are then vacuum-sealed.
The cans are cooked and then cooled for three hours, after which they are ready for their labels.
The US company Hormel Foods introduced spam luncheon meat in 1937.
According to the official spam story, the name was the brainchild of Ken Daigneau, brother of Hormel Food's VP, who won $100 in the contest to name Spam.
As a food item although spam is convenient, easy to use and has a long shelf-life, it's also very high in fat, calories and sodium but low in important nutrients such as protein, vitamins and minerals.
Additionally, it is highly processed and contains preservatives like sodium nitrite that may cause several adverse health effects in humans.
In addition to the normal spam flavour there over 20 varieties of flavoured spam that have been produced over the years.

Yes, when I forgot my sandwich box and was miles from anywhere and starving....ate it straight out of the can, absolutely vile !!
You have never served in the Forces have you?😄 'Compo' supplies in the field were unique but I can assure you SPAM was fine dining. Personally I find it fine to eat, you can fry, or out of the tin into a sandwich.. mmmm..

For those of you that are Costco members, 6 340g cans of standard SPAM are on offer for £11.99 in their warehouses now. At £2 a tin that compares very favourably to supermarket prices. Fuel is cheap at their garages too (generally at least 5p cheaper per litre than the cheapest local garage/supermarket), so worth a visit or joining if you have a local warehouse.

Dave

Back