• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spawning - Happening in your area now?

Russell Shevlane

Traditionally on the Ivel the Barbel spawning takes place in the middle of May and lasts well into the start of the season.
Last year they were late and this year even later.

Does anyone else have any photos of this years spawning?

and

I have heard first hand reports from a couple of friends of spawning activity on the Tees and the Swale though not been out for a walk myself. Great photo's btw Russell.

Thanks Stuart, just ordered a polarised lens so hopefully will be able to get some crisper shots. The Hen fish in this picture (bigger one at the front was about 12 lb)

Been told by a friend that he'd seen spawning activity on the Severn last week, planning to take a look myself soon.

Spent the best part of an hour this morning observing spawning on the Nene. Our stretch was subject to a habitat improvement by the EA last year and all the activity was on the new gravel spawning bed they augmented with an additional 60 tons of 20mm gravel.

Chub were in full view but the barbel tended to come out of the deeper water on to the gravel run and then disappear.

Looking forward to the season now!

Hi guys,

No picture, but they were spawning in the Swale Sunday afternoon when I went for a walk around. Great to see.

Was stood on top of the bridge at pershore yesterday and spotted a couple of barbel getting jiggy on the gravel.

Quote - Chub were in full view but the barbel tended to come out of the deeper water on to the gravel run and then disappear.

Was exactley the same on the w. avons, lovely to see them ghost in and out of the shallows.

There was a big fish (guessing the female) being flanked by 2 smaller fish (the males).

Didnt want to leave!!!

my mate watched them spawning on the calder at the weekend

Just a thought but if they are spawning should we be fishing for them and potentially stressing them?

Was stood on top of the bridge at pershore yesterday and spotted a couple of barbel getting jiggy on the gravel.

Quote - Chub were in full view but the barbel tended to come out of the deeper water on to the gravel run and then disappear.

Was exactley the same on the w. avons, lovely to see them ghost in and out of the shallows.

There was a big fish (guessing the female) being flanked by 2 smaller fish (the males).

Didnt want to leave!!!

Yes I have spent many an hour looking into the river from that bridge, must have been quite a sight, good news.:)

I spotted a number of fish spawning in the Warks Avon, absolutely brilliant sight to see.. Also saw about 4 or 5 small 12" Barbel along side them which was an even better sight especially as you just don't catch Barbel that small... well very very very rarely at least. Why is that?
Great pictures....

Back