• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spawning Barbel

nice post shaun:) a calm collected and sensible post mate,

Dave we both agree not only on this but lots of other stuff too, believe it or not i have actually stroked a couple of carp in the close season and there's no reason why this cannot be done with barbel in the right time and conditions

Takes me back some 12 years now, i was looking round a water called Waspsy wood near Beaconsfield, in the snags was a ghost carp of all 15 i would say, i got on my knees and waved a stick in the water, it turned and came right up to me, i put my hand in the water and stroked it's chin, no kidding, the thing was damn tame!:eek:
more a Cat then carp!

no cant help with a calender derek but seeing how you enjoy sarcasm how about
the barbel soon realise because there aint a ot of blokes thumping around right on the waters edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gauntlett
Spot on Shaun. As has been said previously, there are no scientific reasons, certainly none that will stand up to close inspection.....in support of either side in this debate. However, most of us with a conscience just felt that there was something not quite right about it when they did away with the closed season for non flowing waters. It just felt WRONG. Even those of us who eventually succumbed to temptation and fished still waters during the old closed season...did so with a feeling of guilt and unease.

To do away with the closed season altogether would definitely devalue the whole thing somehow for me. I can't explain it better than that, it is just the way I feel, a personal thing. To me it would be like knocking down the last bastions of tradition...I don't know why, but I know that it would bother me a lot. And like you, I certainly do feel that the fish benefit from the break. Even if a few anglers do cheat and continue to fish the rivers, the ecosystem will, in my opinion, benefit from the general lay off. I too see the fish coming out of hiding during the close...acting as the never do during the season, showing no fear, almost as if the know they are safe. The lack of full on pressure must very obviously be a blessed relief for them.

I suppose I see it this way because I am old, guilty of 'old fashioned thinking'...I need to 'get with it'....I need to 'progress'. I do agree there is some truth in that, because as any of the younger set will tell you, being old means being stupid, unimaginative...and bereft of knowledge of any sort, certainly anything worth knowing. So, I guess I had better do as they say....progress, join in with young set, get with it, learn the new wise ways.

Of course that would mean that I would be joining a group who have adopted such moronic life styles that they have now become the first generation in history to have shorter predicted life spans than their parents, where pre-teen youngsters, again for the first time in history, are dying from heart failure...where obesity in younsters has become the norm.

Not to worry though....we would be able to fish all year round. for a while. Sorted!

Cheers, Dave.
It didn,t stop you though did it. Them few words make the rest of your post laughable.

I don't think Dave G's view is laughable at all, I think it expresses a view that many will have empathy with. I think he's talking about the on-demand immediacy of society now. Bartender a pint of guinness please!

Nick

Ok then, answer this as " Honestly " as you can. How many people who want to " keep it " go fishing on canals/lakes/pits etc during the river closed season ? If thats not being an hypocrite, then i don,t know what is.

Personally Id like it back to the way it was, saying that, i would like angling to be what it was in the 80's,No cormorants, otters or poachers but that's not going to happen is it..

Personally Id like it back to the way it was, saying that, i would like angling to be what it was in the 80's,No cormorants, otters or poachers but that's not going to happen is it..

If it went back to the way it was, I'd be looking at an opening day on June the 1st.

Shaun is absolutely right. Our dear barbel are chased, especially on smaller rivers, from pillar to post. Let them enjoy peace for a few months and do what comes naturally!

Regards

Hugo

I don't think Dave G's view is laughable at all, I think it expresses a view that many will have empathy with. I think he's talking about the on-demand immediacy of society now. Bartender a pint of guinness please!

Nick

No thanks Nick. I don't drink. Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers, Dave

You have your views Derek, I have mine....and we are both entitled to hold those views. I will leave it at that.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, apologies if i upset you, it wasn,t a personal attack, i love reading your posts as they always put a smile on my face. :) Keep them coming fella.

Regards, Derek.

Back