• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spam

I took Spam with me yesterday, to try for the first time. On the first trot the Spam came off, so I went back to maggots (and promptly caught a 5lb chub)... and ate the Spam. NB. bad idea to eat slightly salty food, on a hot day, when running low on fluids. 😁

My incompetence I guess, but next time I'm going to slice a tin of it and fry one side (before dicing) to give the hook a hard edge to sit on.

Last edited:
I took Spam with me yesterday, to try for the first time. On the first trot the Spam came off, so I went back to maggots and ate the Spam (bad idea to eat slightly salty food, on a hot day, when running low on fluids). 😁 My incompetence I guess, but next time I'm going to slice a tin of it and fry one side (before dicing) to give the hook a hard edge to sit on.
Frying it for bait is all I'd do with it now. The doctor says I have high cholesterol!

I have low cholesterol (3.1), so I can eat all the Spam I like. Although I think, like a McDonalds, once a year is quite enough!

sorry Hayden but after the war, the second one I add, spam fritters were a regular meal with chips. Last time I had it was as a weekly quick meal on arriving home when both my wife and I worked. Late 60's! I am more particular now with my bait though. I use bacon grill!
Spam Fritters were the best meal for school lunches. Loved them and wish I could have them over again.

I took Spam with me yesterday, to try for the first time. On the first trot the Spam came off, so I went back to maggots (and promptly caught a 5lb chub)... and ate the Spam. NB. bad idea to eat slightly salty food, on a hot day, when running low on fluids. 😁

My incompetence I guess, but next time I'm going to slice a tin of it and fry one side (before dicing) to give the hook a hard edge to sit on.
I have read that works Kevin but suggest you consider bacon grill. It is firmer with much less fat too. I used it in my early days with a bait coil which held it well but the coil had drawbacks I felt. A bait spike twisted to set or push fit works fine. I have been neglecting B Grill of late chasing all manner of alternative baits but cooling off a tin as we speak

I always say if I live long enough I will encounter everything. Never knew spam fritters were available. In our house, if the can could be opened, we used a knife to cut the meat into slices then dunked them in flour and fried. I marvel at he culinary advances nowadays! Ha.

I use meat on the hook for barbel and chub very often. 10-16mm cubes depending on how well they are having it.
I just pull the hook straight through it till it comes out the other side and turn 90° before pulling back.
Never comes off on the cast or mid trot. It does come off if you wind it back hard but I don’t mind that because you are essentially putting food into the swim

Don’t dismiss it as a float bait. It’s as good as it gets when they are having it and certainly sorts out the better fish.

Pull the hook through the meat with a baiting needle and put a piece of grass stalk, hawthorn spike or similar under the bend of the hook and pull the hook down firmly against the grass and meat 😉👍.

Told my wife about this Spam thread and mentioned I hadn't had Spam fritters for at least 30 years
Sent me to the Co-Op and got 2 small tins but £3 each. Very expensive.
This is the result for my lap top supper while watching F1 qualifying.
Actually I had 4 fritters cooked in beer batter. Really enjoyed them

Attachments

• IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 37
Back