• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spam

Steve Foran

better matured spam 10 year old how much is this worth please note it's not for sale bit of a laugh

Attachments

• 20240714_162542.jpg
    20240714_162542.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 101
The name SPAM is a concatenation of 'spice' and 'ham'. Look it up.

others say it's special processed american meat.

Okay, I got my concatenations and portmanteaus mixed up, but here's the definitive answer, in SPAM (-ish) coloured lettering:

According to the company’s Spam Museum, Ken Digneau, the brother of a Hormel executive, came up with the name — a portmanteau word for “spiced ham” — in a naming contest and got $100 as a reward. The new product was introduced on July 5, 1937.

The SPAM Museum sounds like a must visit when in the States. 🤣

Forget July 4th and US independence, I think fishermen everywhere should observe a World Spam Day on the 5th.

Last edited:
sorry Hayden but after the war, the second one I add, spam fritters were a regular meal with chips. Last time I had it was as a weekly quick meal on arriving home when both my wife and I worked. Late 60's! I am more particular now with my bait though. I use bacon grill!

Back