• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spam spam and more spam

Passed by another B & M yesterday - a very heavily fished one as it's so near to the city's biggest angling superstore - not normally my scene as you know I prefer stalking the wild and untouched swims with my vintage Crabtree tackle - but as soon as I was told "you'll be lucky to get any there" I knew I had to take that challenge.

I soon spotted just two of the target species loitering deep under an overhanging shelf, hiding behind a shoal of sardines. At first I thought they were plain ones but the tell-tale flash of gold on the flanks was soon evident to the experienced eye, even through the gloom of deepest recesses. Spotting them and weedling them out though are two different things and it took a bit of scrambling around and then a determined bit of hit-and-hold. As usual, the size was nothing special but up here as we always insist on telling you, even these little ones fight like Geoffrey Boycott on steroids.

If I had one bit of advice for the novice it would be above all, KEEP QUIET (it really isn't worth asking if they've got any more in the store room, the response is worse than in a Dickensian workhouse, only a lot, lot slower).

Meanwhile they do seem to be suffering heavily from predation at the moment, so let's just enjoy these little beauties while there are still a few of them out there.

Small numbers spotted in York b&m, but hiding behind more common variety.
Just took a few and left the rest undisturbed.
Tight lines.
Mike

off the mark for the season last night and I would just like to thank my sponsors B & M bargains. They truly are the choice of the angling elite.

And don't forget folks, just because it's already flavoured doesn't mean it won't absorb more flavours....

Graham,
Was that the swim on Clifton Moor ?
I went storking there last week, spotted a few plain and the odd black pepper, but no sign of the much more sort after garlic variety. Not even a vacant space in the swim.
Must have blanked half a dozen times since my last capture in April.
Mike

Back