• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spam alert!!

Having had a problem obtaining Garlic Spam from a brand new, recently-opened Sainbsbury's store here in Hinckley last week (although I did still have three tins in my garage) I decided to visit my previous, regular source at the Nuneaton branch yesterday, only to find none on the shelves there either:eek:

After much research last night, it seems that my concerns about this ('acquired taste') product in the average weekly shop being fazed out were gradually being confirmed:(

In fact having just come off the 'phone this morning from TULIP Ltd in Warwick (the only UK distributor for Spam products) I was told that this particular item has been "de-listed" and would not be available in future due to poor demand.

So, if you can track ANY remaining stocks somewhere, then get stocked up now!

Roger

Such a pity. Although it's still available through the parent company, HORMEL FOODS in the USA (so if anyone is planning a trip "across the pond" soon, please call me for my bulk order:))

Lack of demand? mmm probably not, seeing the Anglers clear the shelves at the first opportunity, more like the stigma of it being a top fishing bait.
Good work on finding out the inside story, looks like we are going Polish then?

In that case I'll take extra special care of my 3 trays of Garlic Spam, 1 tray of the original Stinky French stuff......not the end of the world folks, remember when Plumrose Garlic Sausage became hard to get and finally disappeared. Supermarket meat counters do all sorts of spiced and garlic meats which work very nicely as baits.

Garage

How much are you going to use In a typical winter Graham?:D

I am sure the Sokolow would freeze very well In the pack and the chub barbel carp wont notice any difference

The last time garlic spam got de-listed was about 5 years ago and the remaining UK stocks were sold through Netto stores, a Sainsburys offshoot company. It might be worth keeping an eye on their weekly deals website over the next month or so to see if it becomes available. Unfortunately my nearest branch, about 7 miles away, has closed down, but someone out there might get lucky.

Pete.

Sadly i remember Gem garlic drops, a super concentrated garlic liquid that came in a white plastic garlic bulb,that was discontinued back in the 90's never to be seen again.Fantastic additive/flavour,when my supplies went, i never found a replacement as good.Why is it when you find something good someone discontinues it.

My local £land in Cheltenham has both Garlic and Black pepper spam 200 gr tins .
Also found Sokolow Garlic sausage in my local Sainsbury 400gr for £1 75p will be interesting to find out if it any good ?

A friend told me yesterday that a discount store named B&M was selling small tins of spam for 79p.

Thats what i heard today. I go to my local b+m each week and have not noticed it so it may only be in certain stores.
Although i do tend to miss things that are right infront of me! My wife tells me this on a regular basis :)
Dave

Just cleared B&M Hartlepool, 22 tins for the spam "cellar"

The checkout assistant asked me if it tasted nice, I had to confess I had never eaten it and it was for fishing.

Back