• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

South Wales

Steve Hurst

I work away Monday - Friday in South Wales , I stay in Bridgend . Are there any rivers worth trying for barbel in these parts ?

Thanks in advance , Steve

I work away Monday - Friday in South Wales , I stay in Bridgend . Are there any rivers worth trying for barbel in these parts ?

Thanks in advance , Steve

Not fishing, but try and wangle a pint in the bar of the Bridgend Rugby Club - I once gave a couple of talks to the Ogmore Angling Association (gamefishing) in its huge bar, and as I talked with members before "going on" had the pleasure of looking out and down through the bar's sheet-glass wall on the pitch below where many members of the Welsh Rugby squad (Union) were doing some evening training. Impressive fellas.

As Mark says previously the Taff is the nearest to you. Some parts hold some nice fish but the scenery is very much urban in a lot of places and sometimes that can be a problem itself Ie parking and council estates. A Local tackle shop would be Garry Evans on Whitchurch Road just off the eastern avenue to name one. He will or did last time I asked sell day tickets and would provide local info for you.

Brian

i would advise fishing the brewery stretch. their is parking for around four quid a day and its close enough to keep an eye on your car and their some cracking fish in this stretch. hard fishing but the rewards are their for the taking. straight lead with a nice long hook length and spray pellet over the top. hope this helps. Kev

Steve,

The Taff is wider than the Dearne especially around Darfield thats for sure and has a more powerful flow. I know I've fished both.

Brian

Optimistic indeed Paul. When he is not spending his time shaggin Welsh slappers, he is busy slappin Welsh shaggers....no time left for rugby :D

Cheers, Dave.

I take that as a racist slur (and just for once I'm being serious).

In which case I apologise to anyone who GENUINELY sees it as such (rather than those who pretend they do, in order to be mischievous :rolleyes:) , because it was not meant to be racist OR a slur...it was merely my obviously humorous take on how that particular 'gentleman' chooses to waste his life. I think you will find that as usual I was NOT being serious....

Cheers, Dave.

This topic has gone askew like so many recently...... Bring on the 16th for sanity to resume.

Brian

Not yet Mark, I know someone who had a brace of cracking chub from there towards the end of last season tho. So much choice and limited time is my enemy at the moment. Will keep you informed...

Brian

What makes me laugh is the fact that the only record of sheeps------g that i can remember was approx 4 or 5 years ago when a man from London got done by the courts for it :D

BAAAAAAAALUX Ray

Back