• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Solid pva bag fishing

I use pva mesh and attach this to the lead with a bag clip. I then nick the hook into the bag so the hook link straightens out as the mesh melts. This allows you to use a long hook length without tangles.

A swim feeder does that too..
Just a personal thing.I think once the feeder is empty (large block end) it could be moved about by the current and is quite conspicuous,whereas a 3oz gripper holds bottom better and is less visible,as I say,just a personal thing.
I do tend to fish short sessions,so don’t get through many bags.If you search eBay there are some really good deals for pva bags,so the cost isn’t that great

Last edited:
Just a personal thing.I think once the feeder is empty (large block end) it could be moved about by the current and is quite conspicuous,whereas a 3oz gripper holds bottom better and is less visible,as I say,just a personal thing.
I do tend to fish short sessions,so don’t get through many bags.If you search eBay there are some really good deals for pva bags,so the cost isn’t that great
Trevor, match fisherman often make the feeder move after its emptied to move the bait downstream, this can often produce a bite so I don't see it as a negative at all.

Trevor, match fisherman often make the feeder move after its emptied to move the bait downstream, this can often produce a bite so I don't see it as a negative at all.
I was told this by one of the match guys on the Severn…if fishing the feeder and bites dry up cast downstream with just single baits for a while to pick of the fish that have fallen back, then start fishing a different line a bit more upstream, it works!

The advantage of a solid pva bag is that each time you cast with one attached there is a number of pellets,maggots etc going downstream directly in line with your hook bait,got to be the most accurate way to draw fish towards the said hook bait.
I can remember being sat on my bed chair making up a solid bag of maggots and must have popped one whilst tying it and without noticing the bag started melting and ended up with a lap and sleeping bag covered in maggots lol

Back