• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Socks

Carl,

Following recommendations on this site I purchased some Merino Wool hiking socks. I've only just started using them and we've only just started to get some hard weather here in Kent but on first impressions they are excellent. In fact when walking you can boil a kettle on my feet they are so warm....sitting about is another story though and I've not yet put them thru' their paces. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Bill W

6. What is Bridgedale’s warmest sock?

Tested at -25°C, WoolFusion® Summit and WoolFusion® Summit Knee are the warmest socks in the Bridgedale range.

These heavyweight style socks are designed for year round Mountain Expeditions as well as for Mountaineering.

Dense cushioning throughout provides extra warmth, extra impact resistance and extra comfort.

Enduring Comfort is assured through Bridgedale’s WoolFusion® which ensures dry and comfortable feet.

Carl

I have been suffering with neuropathy in my feet for 3 years, so cannot let them get cold or the pain is excruciating...so i have been looking for socks that work for fishing for ages - bad news is i have not found anything that keeps your feet warm when sat still for hours on end even with Arctic muck boots. That said, i wear Smartwool extra heavy mountaineering socks - 75% merino wool; not cheap (occasionally as low as £14 a pair) but the warmest i have found. They do last and keep my feet reasonably warm as long as I move every now and again. I am also a diver and have quite a bit of Fourth Element gear - again the socks are made for movement as you are finning most of the time when diving so i would not recommend these nor Sealskin, but others may have a different take on it.

Carl

I have been suffering with neuropathy in my feet for 3 years, so cannot let them get cold or the pain is excruciating...so i have been looking for socks that work for fishing for ages - bad news is i have not found anything that keeps your feet warm when sat still for hours on end even with Arctic muck boots. That said, i wear Smartwool extra heavy mountaineering socks - 75% merino wool; not cheap (occasionally as low as £14 a pair) but the warmest i have found. They do last and keep my feet reasonably warm as long as I move every now and again. I am also a diver and have quite a bit of Fourth Element gear - again the socks are made for movement as you are finning most of the time when diving so i would not recommend these nor Sealskin, but others may have a different take on it.

COMPLETELY AGREE
Sealskin socks I have found are really not very warm at all compared to conventional wool type socks

In my experience we walk to a swim. Walking makes feet sweat, sweat chills, feet get cold. We need something to wick the sweat away and keep the feet warm. My solution: I wear merino wool socks on top of which I wear BAMA SOKKETS (£9 Ebay) which are really thick so I then wear boots at least one size bigger than my shoe size the boots being BAFFIN TRAPPERS. I bought mine on a deal but they are expensive. But then we are either serious about keeping our feet warm or we are not. You would not believe the amount of sweat on the outside of the SOKKETS yet inside they are warm and dry. I also possess but have not yet tried feet warm gel pads and battery powered heated socks. I might tend to use these in extreme conditions such as boat fishing in a blizzard.

Would have been handy for the job I had at Seaforth early hours this morning, stood outside for three hours in that north-west gale! Bet you had the cab heating on full!

I have sealskinz socks, I don't believe they are intended to be warm, just waterproof. Use them with my field boots with thin undersocks, but don't bother when wearing wellies.

Back