• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Social media, apps and 'big fish' security

I had this monster, and I did everything I know to avoid the fish chasers learning owt

IMG-20160701-WA0000.jpg

Tested again

PSP8 definitely strips EXIF. I use PSP8 because it does certain things (cropping and resizing) more easily than more complex programs.

My guess is that because PSP8 doesn't give access to EXIF, likely too old, it discards it when you crop and save - which is a bonus to me.

<edit> But BobG tested this and we are not now convinced that PSP8 does strip EXIF - does for me but doesn't for him, so the jury is still out

Last edited:
Here's something else to bear in mind when posting photos. What may appear to be a virtually featureless, black background in your night shots....probably isn't. Take for example Paul's 'monster' in this thread: look carefully at the top right of the frame and you can just about make out a lighter area.

IMG-20160701-WA0000.jpg

Now, when this image was copied from the site and photoshopped, what was barely recognisable becomes this:

IMG-20160701-WA0000 edit.jpg

(BTW Paul gave me permission to show this on the site)

Now had that been fence posts, a tree with very distinguished fork or anything else to identify the location, it could very well have given the game away.

So, think carefully and if you have photo editing facilities, lighten your images first, to see what's there.

Back