• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

So long 2020-21 season.

I just want to join the Thames barbel club and preferably the exclusive Upper Thames one. Any size barbel would be dandy.
I wish you the very very best of luck/skill with your venture Edward.I wanted to join the same club a number of years ago,not being local i chose to try mainly Chertsey/Walton way with my limited knowledge ,as the weir could be fished from the camp site bank. i managed to tempt shoals of bream to over 12lb,chub to just under 7lb & joined the club with some fish to 8lb ish. Everything i caught was in the hours of darkness,as you may know its a mare to fish in daylight because of the constant boats & rowers up to October time.Good luck

Everything i caught was in the hours of darkness,as you may know its a mare to fish in daylight because of the constant boats & rowers up to October time.Good luck
Thanks Dave - it was worse than ever last summer - utterly unbearable for an angler. I have photos somewhere of over 20 boats waiting to go up river through a lock and even more boats waiting to go down river - complete mayhem. Canoes are nearly up to Wye numbers and there were shoals of swimmers and paddle boarders. I hate to think what it's going to be like this year. Farmers now give moorings priority over fishing and boaters stop wherever they like. It's why I can't look forward to 15 June. I do not enjoy fishing in the dark so resort to the tributaries like the Evenload, Windrush, and Cherwell but they are sad places to fish these days, especially in summer when the water levels tend to be low. Give me an otter to watch any day of the week rather than suffer trying to fish the Upper Thames in the summer.

I managed just

5 sessions, Loddon, 0 fish
5 sessions, Pats, 1 fish (11-07)
1 session, Trent, 3 fish (8-00 which was my first barbel for 18 months :(, an 11-03 and a 13-11)

Not wet a line anywhere since October

. . .cannot complain about this season - less trips out but a better stamp of fish for me and actually fishing to conditions rather than playing a numbers game. Broke two PBs - a 45.12 Common at the end of September was timed perfectly prior to first frosts and the end of the carp season for me. Switching to rivers instead of moping about at home until spring (which is usually the norm pre-lockdown) has been an inspiration and I've really enjoyed the variety switching between trotting / light feeder fishing for dace and chub to floodwater barbel fishing - this resulted in a 10.06 (my first double figure barbel) from a popular stretch of the WA and a return to the type of fishing I enjoyed as a lad. Roll on June 16th . . .until then the carp season has returned and there's a 40+ Mirror I'm after with my name on it . . !

. . .cannot complain about this season - less trips out but a better stamp of fish for me and actually fishing to conditions rather than playing a numbers game. Broke two PBs - a 45.12 Common at the end of September was timed perfectly prior to first frosts and the end of the carp season for me. Switching to rivers instead of moping about at home until spring (which is usually the norm pre-lockdown) has been an inspiration and I've really enjoyed the variety switching between trotting / light feeder fishing for dace and chub to floodwater barbel fishing - this resulted in a 10.06 (my first double figure barbel) from a popular stretch of the WA and a return to the type of fishing I enjoyed as a lad. Roll on June 16th . . .until then the carp season has returned and there's a 40+ Mirror I'm after with my name on it . . !

My season ended not with a bang but a whimper. I had 97 Barbel by the end of October and had 4 sessions on my local stretch of the Wye. I blanked every time and didn't even have a bite. The conditions weren't good but even so.
Baits included maggots, pellets, Spam and boilies. Night fishing is banned so I'll blame that.

Still my best season by far. I hope we all have a great season from June 16th. Stay safe and enjoy the local lakes.

Back