• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

So long 2020-21 season.

Stephen Crowhurst

So my season is done. One thing or another, swimmers, busy banks, work on and off like a yo-yo reducing bank time, mine was probably my worst one for a few years. Still could of been worse.
So who’s done? Who still got one last day and who had a good year!

Mine's also done, Stephen. A pretty torrid season, particularly compared to the last. Lock-downs, a cold early 2021 and, for one reason or another, fewer opportunities have all played a part. A bit of fluff chucking when it warms up a bit, then forward to June, with renewed hope, anticipation and hopefully excitement.

Finished with a blank yesterday. Haven't been able to do much barbel fishing but have had a good winter/autumn fishing for roach with a pb and several more over a pound. Managed 1 barbel off the BA on a scorching afternoon in June and enjoyed my annual trip to the Wye with fish from 2 stretches. One positive from lock down is that I have relished every trip out and focused on the pleasure of being by the water with the wild life. Time for a break now and maybe a bit of dabbling in still waters when the weather settles down for Spring.

Very poor for me as well, what with one thing and another. Broke my Chub PB which was nice, did it early on in the season and thought things might be on for a good year, sadly not. Swapped rivers after a while (Shorter journey) and I think in hindsight, I should have stayed where I was, and could just never get going. Maybe next year.

Bought quite a lot of new kit, that I'll hopefully use for some close season Tench fishing.

I can’t complain too loudly to be honest, yes lockdown and travel restrictions have been a pain in the a**e but once we were able to fish after lockdown #1 I had a good late spring/summer with the Tench on my favourite float fish/lift method. No big fish (did fluke a 2lb 12oz Crucian one evening) but very enjoyable fishing with some good bags. What little Barbel fishing I’ve done I’ve caught and enjoyed. Broke my Trent PB three times and caught a couple of other decent doubles and a few nines along the way. Yup! I would like to have done more and caught a few more. Retirement at Christmas gives me more flexibility this year, planning to start my Tenching earlier, I’ll be doing a bit on a local gravel pit (2 rods. buzzers etc) hoping for a big ‘un as well as my float fishing on the “pond”. Barbel wise I’m planning more trips to the Wye, Trent and i’m going to give the Warwickshire Avon and lower Severn a look and of course my local Medway will get a bit more attention than it has for the last two or three years...All this except the local Tenching requires a bit of travel so I’m in Boris’s hands for travel and accommodation. Enjoy whatever you are planning lads and keep safe. 👍

My season ended a few weeks ago, however I did manage 6 trips had 1x blank, 1x Chub, 1x Eel and 4x Barbel. Barbel were 3:12, 4:12, 10:2 & 9:6

I was hoping for more trips but Covid put paid to that.

I am going to have a bit of fishing locally, I have purchased a ticket to the Plymouth & District Coarse Angling Club so will have a bit of Tench and Bream fishing until Mid June, they have 7 lakes all within 12 miles of me.

2.5 weeks to go until I am allowed to leave home :)

My season ended a few weeks ago, however I did manage 6 trips had 1x blank, 1x Chub, 1x Eel and 4x Barbel. Barbel were 3:12, 4:12, 10:2 & 9:6

I was hoping for more trips but Covid put paid to that.

I am going to have a bit of fishing locally, I have purchased a ticket to the Plymouth & District Coarse Angling Club so will have a bit of Tench and Bream fishing until Mid June, they have 7 lakes all within 12 miles of me.

2.5 weeks to go until I am allowed to leave home :)
Eddie,
If you are a Devonian I’m sure you are aware of the quality Tench fishing at Rackerhayes. My cousin used to fish it for Tinca’s many years ago, was a very prolific water in those days. Fish are bigger these days and Carp are present.
Regards
Bill

Hi Bill, I used to be a member of Rackerhayes in the mid 90s, I didn't like the restrictions put on those who live over 20 miles away, we paid the same fees but had limited or zero access to some of the waters. I've just checked and it is still the same.

I'll be happy pootling around the lakes around Plymouth until I can get up on the Severn and Wye.

Hi Bill, I used to be a member of Rackerhayes in the mid 90s, I didn't like the restrictions put on those who live over 20 miles away, we paid the same fees but had limited or zero access to some of the waters. I've just checked and it is still the same.

I'll be happy pootling around the lakes around Plymouth until I can get up on the Severn and Wye.
Eddie

Carp and tench in Island pond, tench in first, weedy and linnay ponds and carp in the relatively new round pond on Rackerhayes. All on day ticket. It's only Dores that's members only

My barbel season finished December 23rd the day before we went into tier 4 and obviously restrictions going forward prevented another session on the nene so I finished up the last 3 months in search of chub and pike more locally.
not a bad season considering it was cut short. Pb barbel of 15,11 which was one of 2 15’s and I caught a cracking fish of 13,06 on my last session of December 23rd which finished the job nicely. As far as quantity is concerned it’s got harder year on year for most people particularly on these lower stocked waters but it’s clear to see the quality of the fish when we do get them is still pretty fantastic.
i say it every March and it’s never happened yet but hopefully next season I’ll be joining the 16 club 😜

Similar stuff for me Richard, albeit a bit smaller, two 14's, three 12's and a few smaller doubles, but I'm 50% on my catches from last season.
Joining the 15 club will do me.

This season never even happened for me - plans to move house, with associated DIY and prep took up most of my free time from late spring into late summer, which were then scuppered by the new LTV mortgage regs meaning we couldn't borrow the extra we needed (which is just as well as about six weeks later my wife was told her job was going), and then what with the fallout from that and homeschooling our daughter and the subsequent "local fishing only" lockdown rules (very very few local options for me) have brought me to now, the end of the season.

My wife is actively looking for another job (along with however many other people locally), but I'm not buying a rod licence or any club tickets until she's got one AND there's defo no chance of any further lockdowns.

Fingers crossed...

I came late to the barbel scene last year. Not until late September my obsession for barbel took hold. I tried locally on the nene of countless reports here and there but to no avail. Caught some cracking chub thou along the way. The biggest being 5lb 4. Which is my pb now.
Tried the gt ouse for a couple of sessions but to no avail either which I had a rough idea might be the case. Hopefully as of June I should get on a small river syndicate with double figure barbel in , on the gt ouse. But my main aim of the new season will be to catch a northants nene barbel. Fingers crossed

Pretty much in common with most others for this current season, and sadly, gradually diminishing overall catch numbers season to season since 2013:(

Out of a grand (?!) total of 26 outings (incorporating a frustrating 14 blanks😢) I only managed 24 barbs with just 6 doubles (1 x 1Olb+, 3 x 11lb+ and 2 x 12lb+).

Roll on June 16👏👍

I just want to join the Thames barbel club and preferably the exclusive Upper Thames one. Any size barbel would be dandy.

Back