• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

So how did it go ?

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Arrived at my chosen stretch at about 5.45 pm, to find what is usually a quiet stretch of river bristling with rods, one chap had 3 rods waiting in a 3 rod skypod, ridiculous if you ask me ! He must have been a frustrated carper.

Anyway, I found a spot away from the crowds ( and away from the fish )

Whilst I was waiting for the midnight hour I checked around some of the mudbanks under the overhanging bankside trees where nobody bothers to look, wading up the river. Not a suprise but I found lots and lots of Otter prints in the mud, and some spraints.

Maybe thats why I blanked !

Seems that very little was caught anywhere . Its the anticipation that keeps me going, its the first time I have done a midnight on June 16th for a few years, you would think at nearly 65 I would have learnt by now.

:rolleyes:

Dave

It didn't. Landing net handle 50 miles away in the shed :mad:

Couple of Chub and a large Eel which was I have to say was amazing to look at as Eels are in the main seen as a nuisance, not any more...

Cheers

Brian

First trip along my old haunts on the Upper Ouse from 8 or 9 years ago....
River very low & slow, and well weeded. Bottom alive with crays in places, (which looks very macabre!) and devoid of all life in others, had one small Chub and a rather large angry cray....which quietened down after i stomped on it.....
Saw one other angler all day...which i think says it all....
Might have to visit my local carp pool for some fishy therapy tomorrow....

Andy

A very good start indeed for me to report, some homework paid off and I had 5 barbel between 7.5lb and 9lb14oz and a few suicidal chub, from a small river! And still made it home for breakfast at my sons pre-school, good luck to you all.

Had a strange evening on the Cherwell, the river was tea coloured, more so than when I walked it on Sunday, despite the lack of rain. Even stranger was the fact that I fished 4 hours with meat and never had a single tweak from a cray. Nor a fish as it happens, but that's to be expected on the Cherwell these days. I was totally at a loss to understand the lack of activity from crays and wonder if it has anything to do with what is colouring the river. It's been like it for a few summers now but the chub seem oblivious to it but can't think of any other reason the crays were absent. Usually this river is full of them.

A couple of very skinny chub not a million miles from Hereford. One not quite 2.5lbs and one a tad over 3lbs but looked much bigger in the water. Length but no girth, not a good combination - so I've been told:)

Had a very enjoyable first day on the dependable Wye, 10 barbel and 10 good chub, about 50/50 on the float and feeder. Lost a few fish in a new snag which wasn't so good.

Yorkshire Ouse ,evening of the 16th , 3 tommy Ruffe and a roach / bream hybrid . River low but barbel were caught . Otters about , kingfishers abounding , little Owl on the fence post opposite me . Great to be out of the river again :)

The same Severn stretch which treated me to a 10 hour blank last year was kinder this year, first barbel came just after 1 am, second one 4 hours later and then a chub before packing up at 7am. All others I spoke to only caught up to about 5am, nothing moving after that.

Lures for pike on the Somerset levels for a change. One take, which I failed to hook properly, all day and that was the only bit of action for me. But it seemed everyone struggled yesterday as everyone I spoke to, most of whom had been fishing since midnight, had much the same story - the bivvy boys didn't even have any line bites, the tench guy hadn't had any interest and packed up and left at 11, the pole guys weren't even hitting any tiddlers. VERY VERY strong wind all day, even for the levels, though, which is often a killer.

Oh and the other action I had was, loosely connecting to a couple of other threads, was club permit checks by both main club bailiffs, and my rod licence checked THREE times by THREE different EA officials (I did troll around different venues, it wasn't all in the same place). That's probs the last I'll see of any of them for the rest of the season...

Back