• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Snowed Under with Ludicrous Advertising

Mike Osborne

This past couple of days I have had my BFW Forums absolutely awash with junk adverts' from handbags to water quality testing crap!!! I am sick of it, so how can I stop it, it does seem that Google has suddenly gone overboard, but if I cannot get away from it, which is not evident on other sites, I shall have to leave BFW, unfortunately.

Anyone else being plagued???

I have noticed a slightly bigger banner ad at the top but its not been a great problem?
That also is so noticable about the 'intrusion', Jason. I didn't mention it in my post, awaiting any feedback from other attendees. This tells me it is unique to BFW, rather than any other ad' intruders. I await with bated breath for any Administrator to offer solace!!!

Your "bigger banner" Jason, is enormous compared to the text size here and also migrates from upper to lower parts of the screen, when carrying out repeated deletions of the numerous ads!!

Those handbags are great, go very well with my Pink wellies😁

Paul,
Tried downloading this 'adblock' to no avail, Windows Vista not accepting it, thanks, Mike
Try the Brave browser, adblocking and a VPN, faster than chrome too.

Try the Brave browser, adblocking and a VPN, faster than chrome too.
Well, some kind soul has done something good, as the accursed obtrusive adverising has reduced vastly, though not disappeared completely. Thanks whomsoever it was that addressed it,

Mike

Well, some kind soul has done something good, as the accursed obtrusive adverising has reduced vastly, though not disappeared completely. Thanks whomsoever it was that addressed it,

Mike
That's it, the bloody advertising is back, giant sized, intrusive top and bottom of forums!!! Not for me, I can cope easier without it and DO NOT NEED it. I'll sign out and wish you all well, if it cannot be stopped or removed, I'm 'gone', Regards, Mike

That's it, the bloody advertising is back, giant sized, intrusive top and bottom of forums!!! Not for me, I can cope easier without it and DO NOT NEED it. I'll sign out and wish you all well, if it cannot be stopped or removed, I'm 'gone', Regards, Mike
Sorry about that Mike, you will be missed.:(

Err dont forger your PPI claim, ends two days time.

Hi men,

Funny , until you pointed it out I never really took much notice as there are hundreds of web sites where adverts are a necessary evil . I normally click on and scroll down fast , took me a second to do , and out of the hours I spend looking at BFW seems a very slight inconvenience , but each to their own . Hope you login again soon Mike , or the advertiser's have won ? .

Hattet

That is a puzzle, I'm using the Brave browser as I type and I'm not seeing any ads at all.
I suspect Google has wormed its way back and has made itself your default browser.
First thing I'd suggest would be to delete your BFW account from Google. Then find BFW on Brave re open your account and use the 'open in homepage' option. This is for an android phone/tablet.
My BFW Icon is on my front page with the Brave icon included.
Either way I think your problems stem from Google being the default browser, wanted or not.
Edit, just turned off Adblock and indeed I'm getting a banner ad top and bottom of the page. Not that intrusive but it looks like you need to find an adblocker that's compatible with your kit.
There's loads available.

Last edited:
That is a puzzle, I'm using the Brave browser as I type and I'm not seeing any ads at all.
I suspect Google has wormed its way back and has made itself your default browser.
First thing I'd suggest would be to delete your BFW account from Google. Then find BFW on Brave re open your account and use the 'open in homepage' option. This is for an android phone/tablet.
My BFW Icon is on my front page with the Brave icon included.
Either way I think your problems stem from Google being the default browser, wanted or not.
Edit, just turned off Adblock and indeed I'm getting a banner ad top and bottom of the page. Not that intrusive but it looks like you need to find an adblocker that's compatible with your kit.
There's loads available.

Some people, like me can't be arsed to faff around so eventualy just go elsewhere, I rarely look at fishing magic now for the same reason except it's a lot worst

Half the OPs troubles, including the non-compatability of adblock, are likely to be down to Vista. It hasn't been supported by Microsoft for over two years. Any vulnerabilities in it will remain un-patched. Most recent software is unlikely to be fully compatible with it.

oh my god your poor sad soul !

I do feel sorry for you of all the things going on in the world you let a few adverts get you down on a FREE FORUM !

get a grip man or are you just attention seeking and its a joke Im not seeing ? 🥴 😂

The Google Adsense adverts have been on most pages of bfw for 5+ years. Nothing has changed with these recently.

We earn income from the adverts which goes towards the yearly cost of the server and the support package we subscribe to. This covers ongoing server security updates.

I believe there are a few browsers that allow you to block adverts (which are present on most sites, including Facebook these days). Blocking them means we don't earn anything...

Sorry if the ads put people off, they are an unfortunate necessity I'm afraid.

Andy

The Google Adsense adverts have been on most pages of bfw for 5+ years. Nothing has changed with these recently.

We earn income from the adverts which goes towards the yearly cost of the server and the support package we subscribe to. This covers ongoing server security updates.

I believe there are a few browsers that allow you to block adverts (which are present on most sites, including Facebook these days). Blocking them means we don't earn anything...

Sorry if the ads put people off, they are an unfortunate necessity I'm afraid.

Andy
Agree the adverts have been there forever but they’ve increased in size to at least twice the original size. Is there anyway of taking the settings back to reduce the size of the adverts either your end or on individual computers/tablets?

Agree the adverts have been there forever but they’ve increased in size to at least twice the original size. Is there anyway of taking the settings back to reduce the size of the adverts either your end or on individual computers/tablets?

Hi Bill,

Are you using mobile, tablet or PC?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy use an iPad mini mostly but do sometimes view on a laptop

Back