• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

snide rumor / malicious gossip?!?!

Justin Cubberley

I dont know if this is correct or not but a couple of carp lads told me today that SBS Baits went into receivership some 3 weeks ago.

If correct, a little surprising after the recent angling times give-a-way...

Does anyone know if this is the case?

This was on the SBS facebook page recently:

Just had a call from Des Taylor and SBS has been sold to someone in Hungary. I think they want to do the social networking themselves, so just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your contributions and posts. Take care and tight lines :) Stewart Bloor

Stewart was sponsored by SBS, and presumably did their Facebook page for them.

Also this posted on the SBS website today:

We would like to inform you that from now on SBS Tactical Baits is under a new international management team.
Over the next few months we will be renewing and upgrading the website to provide a unique and world class experience that will provide much more information about the characteristics and use of new and old products. We truly hope, that you will like the result, until then we will keep you updated.

So looks like they've been bought out.

The chaps i spoke to also went on to say that Rob Hales had purchased a rather large quantity of 'cut price stock' to feed his fish on at the avenue!

Several years back I fished a dayticket venue in Hertfordshire, Holwell Hyde. There was a young lad up there who, quite litterally, did not stop catching, while all and sundry, myself included, were fishless. As we were talking to him and one of his rods went off I spied my mate in the porch of his bivvy trying to check out his bait bucket for any clues. We eventually rumbled what he was using and it turned out to be SBS' CSL Pellets. After much persausion he gave a couple up and the results were instant. After sourcing some myself and on the few return visits I made to that lake the results was the same. We went from expecting a fish or two at best to catching upwards of several fish a session on that bait. It's the only time I've seen bait make such a huge difference. Oddly enough, though, I don't think I've taken a fish at any other venue on those pellets.

Last edited:
Several years back I fished a dayticket venue in Hertfordshire, Holwell Hyde. There was a young lad up there who, quite litterally, did not stop catching, while all and sundry, myself included, were fishless. As we were talking to him and one of his rods went off I spied my mate in the porch of his bivvy trying to check out his bait bucket for any clues. We eventually rumbled what he was using and it turned out to be SBS' CSL Pellets. After much persausion he gave a couple up and the results were instant. After sourcing some myself and on the few return visits I made to that lake the results was the same. We went from expecting a fish or two at best to catching upwards of several fish a session on that bait. It's the only time I've seen bait make such a huge difference. Oddly enough, though, I don't think I've taken a fish at any other venue on those pellets.

At the Hyde anything works....always does

As a mate of Des I feel I can put the record straight, SBS hasnt gone into receivership, it wasn't a limited company, however the factory in Kidderminster has shut down, Des has sold the intellectual rights to an Hungarian company who will continue to develop and sell SBS's excellent bait range, they will support and increase the bait testers. This was a hard decision for Des as he had created SBS to what it is, but now he is free to continue with other projects, finish his long awaited biography (part 1) and above all else spend more time what he loves best, catching big fish with his mates.

Last edited:
Lawrence, could you pass on my best wishes to Des, he was the only reason i bought the Angling Times, since he,s left, i haven,t bothered. Thank You.

I will pass your comments on , he really does value his readers, even when they dont agree with him which is often as we know, its because he shares his opinions freely and I know he is talking to AT about further work for them, especially now with his need run a business finally gone, which was time consuming and caused distraction........

Last edited:
Back