• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Smallest pellets for hair rigging?

Steve Brand

Was wondering what Is the smallest pellets any of you might use on a hair rig, bearing In mind small baits are advised for low clear rivers.
I fished a stretch close to south Muskham on the trent today and after 3 biteless hours with pellets from 15mm down to 8mm decided to go down to an even smaller bait.
I hair rigged a small bait band and carefully scored a groove In a 6mm pellet using a strong 16s hook I was amazed when my first cast produced a confident rap on the tip which I misssed.
Recast and again good positive bite that produced a good sized roach of around 12oz, next cast a decent bream around 5 lb then another good roach a good 14oz fish.
To be fair I cast this rig out more In hope than having any confidence In catching ok I didnt manage a barbel it was the middle of the day bright sunshine and a low clear river but I view any fish as a result even when barbel are my preference .
Its certainly a tactic I will be using again In the future the pellet was a high oil halibut type pellet and lasted a decent amount of time without breaking down to much, probably not a long session method but worth a go might even get a barbel when they are feeding hard on small pellet feed.:)

I have hair rigged treble boiled hemp seeds on 3 lb mono hair,by threading them on using a needle,I suppose I could have superglued them on,the mono was attached to the bend of a size 12,which itself was on a 10lb low dia flouro hooklength. I was after anything, wanting a Barbel, but anyway, I cast them in behind a feeder filled with hemp,and plugged with crumb, within a minute I had a twitch that resulted in a really good sized river Roach, not what I was expecting, but very welcome. I continued and had several more to the same tactics.
As you pointed out Steve, the river was quite low, I would not have experimented with that rig otherwise.

Dave.

Loads less hassle glueing, I've tried the small pellet approach a few times in the day this year on Trent and its brought me a few extra bites, plenty of small chub and a few decent roach too tho, I was glueing 3 4millers, with small loose feed in the feeder

glueing pellets

Loads less hassle glueing, I've tried the small pellet approach a few times in the day this year on Trent and its brought me a few extra bites, plenty of small chub and a few decent roach too tho, I was glueing 3 4millers, with small loose feed in the feeder

It Is possible to band even 4mm pellets with a micro bait band and a banding tool although I did not manage to put a groove In a 4mm so they may be prone to coming off a bit easier.
I tried glueing and dont get on with it to fiddly with really small pellets I find banding better for single 4/6 mm pellet must try tying multiple bands for a two three pellet approach .
Think small pellet on hair and hemp feed would work well dont think the fish are spending to much time inspecting the bait.

Two 3 or 4m pellets glued on a hair works very well fished over hemp or pellets or both. As said before you do want a high oil pellet so it doesn't break down too quickly, even still I wouldn't leave the bait out too long.

I've been using the lasso rig with 5-6mm pellets and had quite a few barbel recently, excellent rig using a size 12 hook;)

I've been using the lasso rig with 5-6mm pellets and had quite a few barbel recently, excellent rig using a size 12 hook;)

Size 12 you after sharks LOL just got some of the drennan specimen plus in a 16s to try I do put two rods out one targeting the bigger fish and one for out thats going usualy end up catching on the out thats going rod;)

Size 12 you after sharks LOL just got some of the drennan specimen plus in a 16s to try I do put two rods out one targeting the bigger fish and one for out thats going usualy end up catching on the out thats going rod;)

If it cant fit a 12 in its mouth I don't want to catch it;):D

Back